Foley proudly presents A New Day: Emerging Issues in Real Estate Capital Markets, a Web conference series focused on real estate capital markets transactions. After a tumultuous 12 months, it is more important than ever for market participants to be strategic and proactive.
Presented by attorneys from Foley’s Real Estate Capital Markets Team, these Web conferences will involve “keynote” input from market-leading participants such as private equity fund managers, lenders, REIT executives, property operators, developers, among others, as we identify and analyze the hottest topics and emerging trends that impact the industry both locally and globally.
In the first session of A New Day, Foley Partner Peter J. Elias moderated a discussion on Important Tax Developments Impacting Real Estate Capital Markets Participants. Panelists included Foley Partner Kenneth R. Appleby and UBS Director & Federal Affairs Manager Peter Rowan in a discussion of important new tax developments that impact real estate funds, sponsors, REITs and other market participants including:
- Updates and analysis of legislative developments in Washington, including important new developments addressing taxation of sponsors’ carried interests. The carried interest legislation, if passed, could potentially be one of the most important tax law changes impacting real estate funds and other market participants in recent memory. Our panel explored this important proposal and provide insights on its status and strategies for anticipating this legislation.
- A discussion of important tax issues, and hidden traps and strategies, for distressed debt funds.
- Other legislative issues: Tax planning and structuring for anticipated new tax rates, including potentially higher rates applicable to long-term capital gains, and status of the estate tax.
- Important tax tips for REITs to preserve cash in a challenging environment.
- Other relevant hot topics and issues facing market participants.
For additional information about A New Day: Emerging Issues in the Real Estate Capital Markets Web Conference Series, please contact Jackie Polson at jpolson foley.com.