Foley Partners Michael Blau and Steve Burr are participating in a session called "Joint Ventures: How to Successfully Collaborate and Finance" at the American Conference Institute's Premier Forum on Developing and Leasing Medical Office Buildings, Lab & Healthcare Facilities. The conference will take place from March 29-30, 2007 at the Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel.
The session will focus on:
- Pros and cons of partnerships between healthcare institutions, physicians, and developers
- loss of tax-exempt status
- Selecting the right developer
- Negotiating with for-profit developers and financiers
- securing competitive financing
- what lenders look for
- Who will own the land?
- Flash in the pan? A look at medical condos and other creative real estate ownership options
- Confidentiality issues in the negotiation and selection process
- Measuring risks for both sides
- Meeting long and short-term goals and objectives of the parties
- Negotiating key ground lease issues
- approval requirements for subleases
- embedding control provisions
- restricting certain types of practices such as family planning: How broad can the restrictions be?
- building list of preferred physicians into the ground lease
- can space be used for non-medical purposes?
- controlling leasing to restaurants in medical buildings