Lawson will participate in the panel titled, "CFPB Enhanced Oversight and Heightened Scrutiny of the Industry: Evaluating Lessons Learned from Recent Enforcement Actions, Preparing for Investigations and Examinations and Looking Ahead to Rulemaking Updates." Lawson, along with Donald Maurice of Maurice & Needleman, P.C., and Gerald Sachs of Paul Hastings LLP, will discuss an array of issues including:
- Assessing recent enforcement actions and investigations undertaken by the CFPB: Lessons learned; Trends in enforcement actions; Which market sectors are receiving enhanced scrutiny and why?; Pursuit of mortgage reinsurance cases
- Anticipating the types of claims that the CFPB will be pursuing in the near-term: Bulletin relating to mortgage servicing transfers: Which CFPB actions will lead to
piggybacking private actions?
- Preparing for and responding to CFPB investigations
- Responding to CIDs (Civil Investigative Demands)
- Where the CFPB is likely headed in the coming months: Trends in examinations and investigations; What to expect
- Assessing coordination efforts between the CFPB and other federal and state agencies, including state AGs
- Rulemaking updates: Recent enforcement actions claiming ‘disparate impact’
- Impact of the CFPB’s consumer complaints database on consumer finance litigation: How have plaintiffs’ counsel responded?; How financial institutions can use the database
to anticipate and prepare for the next wave of litigation and develop proactive compliance strategies to minimize risk
- Assessing the CFPB’s adjudication procedures
- Attorney-client privilege and the CFPB
For more information and to register for the event, visit the American Conference Institute's website.