A New World of Alcohol Taxation in Texas

31 October 2013 Publication


If a consumer walks into a restaurant and orders a beer or wine, will the consumer be required to pay tax on that beer or wine?

Admittedly, it’s a bit of a trick question. Studies have shown most consumers believe that they do. The correct answer though is “maybe so, maybe not,” as it depends on the type of Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission permit the restaurant holds. Starting in 2014, this will change and the overwhelming odds suggest the answer to the question is “yes.”

Today, if you walk into a hotel, restaurant, bar or other similar venue that holds a mixed-beverage permit from the TABC and order an alcoholic drink, you are not paying taxes on that drink. The reason for this is that the current mixed-beverage gross receipts tax is effectively an excise tax paid by the holder of the TABC permit selling you that drink.

Read More.


Text Messages, EDiscovery, and the New Threat to Privacy
21 November 2019
CMS Proposes Enhanced Scrutiny over Medicaid Supplemental Payments
20 November 2019
Health Care Law Today
The Purpose of a Corporation
November 2019
Legal News: Business Law
Should This Be a "Mobility" Industry Blog?
19 November 2019
Dashboard Insights
PATH Summit 2019
18-20 December 2019
Arlington, VA
Madison CLE Days
18-19 December 2019
Madison, WI
MedTech Impact Expo & Conference
13-15 December 2019
Las Vegas, NV
HFMA MA-RI Annual Compliance Update
12 December 2019
Boston, MA