Mike Donohue is a respected corporate tax attorney and certified public accountant who represents U.S. and multinational companies with complex tax issues, including in the private equity and hospitality sectors. He has significant, first-hand experience analyzing international and domestic tax issues, structuring large-scale mergers and acquisitions, and providing advice on partnership and limited liability company taxation, executive compensation and tax controversy matters. In addition, he handles FIN 48 issues and permanent establishment, withholding and Subpart F tax matters.
Clients rely on Mike’s experience and expertise as a corporate tax attorney to handle sophisticated acquisitions, complex business restructurings and complex administrative tax controversies. His recent representations include:
- Advising on a significant U.S. worthless stock deduction for a European-based technology company.
- Structuring the Honduras business of a U.S. taxpayer.
- Advising a U.S. partner on an in-kind redemption of significant oil and gas properties.
- Analyzing the U.S. tax consequences of the sale of U.S.-based multinational entities.
- Resolving a significant IRS federal income tax matter for a large Japanese technology company.
- Serving as primary international tax attorney and obtaining a significant tax ruling from the Canadian tax authority for a large Chinese corporate client.
Mike is often brought into a transaction to implement a tax efficient structure that accomplishes the business objectives of his clients.
Mike anticipates an uptick in international tax concerns, as more clients continue expand overseas. He also predicts closer scrutiny of business taxes in the United States as the IRS and states look for more revenue.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Taxation Section
- Member, Corporate Tax Committee
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers® in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.)
- Tax Law (2010-2018)
- Litigation & Controversy – Tax (2012-2018)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law (1983), cum laude
- B.S., Canisius College (1976)
- Texas State Courts (1983)
- Texas (1983)