Carlos J. Abarca is a partner and corporate lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP where his practice focuses on finance, commercial, corporate, energy, and cross-border transactions. He has extensive experience working along-side counsel from foreign jurisdictions, and has particular experience and familiarity with the legal systems, culture, and business practices of Spain and Latin America. Mr. Abarca is fully bilingual in English and Spanish. He is a member of the firm’s Transactional & Securities Practice, Finance & Financial Institutions Practice, and Energy Industry Team.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Abarca served as vice president of Corporate Finance at Chase Manhattan Bank where he was involved in structuring financings for acquisitions, working capital needs and long term assets both in the U.S. and in Latin America.
In his law practice, Mr. Abarca has worked with some of the largest firms in the country and worked on sophisticated transaction with an emphasis on cross-border matters. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in acquisitions and divestitures, lenders and borrowers in domestic and cross-border transactions, and Florida entities in general corporate matters.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition, construction, and financing of three utility scale solar projects in Latin America
- Advised leading global solar energy company in international joint venture with Fortune 50 for up to 200MW of solar projects
- Represented publicly traded company in the acquisition of a leading and vertically integrated producer and distributor of rawhide products which included multiple manufacturing plants in Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico, and Colombia
- Represented European private equity fund in its acquisition of a yacht brokerage, management, and chartering business with operations throughout the United States and the Caribbean
- Represented a Central American telecommunications company in several large syndicated loan transactions and in a bond issuance
- Represented financial institutions and borrowers in domestic and international financing transactions of all types, including secured and unsecured loans, real estate loans, syndicated loans and acquisition loans
- Represented several wireless content providers in negotiating distribution agreements throughout Latin America
- Represented payment processor in the sale of a majority stake and sale of convertible preferred shares to a private equity fund
- Represented a U.S. bank and a credit card issuer in the sale of their consumer portfolios and operations in Paraguay
- Represented Fortune 500 company in the acquisition of a logistics company in Singapore
- Represented Fortune 500 company in the sale of a subsidiary in Brazil
- Represented Fortune 500 company in a $860 million syndicated global multi-currency revolving loan
- Represented several manufacturers in establishing distribution agreements in the U.S. and Latin America
- Represented U.S. insurance company in managing compliance of the sale of insurance policies in Central and South America
*Certain of these transactions occurred prior to Mr. Abarca joining Foley & Lardner LLP.
Mr. Abarca earned his J.D. from Stanford Law School and his M.B.A. from IESE in Barcelona.
Mr. Abarca is admitted to practice in Florida and is a member of The Florida Bar.
He is a member of the Bicycle League of Miami.
Mr. Abarca reads, writes, and speaks fluent Spanish.