Alexis Bortniker is a partner and health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Her practice focuses on transactional and regulatory matters with an emphasis on counseling health systems, hospitals, and other providers in managed care and physician contracting. Alexis is a member of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team. Alexis is not admitted to the California Bar and is only admitted in Massachusetts.
Previously, Alexis was an associate with Choate Hall & Stewart LLP where she gained experience working directly with health care organizations on regulatory and corporate compliance issues, including the development of internal policies and procedures and the review of contracts and employment relationships.
- Represents pharmacy benefit manager in compliance and regulatory issues, including establishment of medication management programs and downstream provider relationships
- Advised national hospital system in negotiating system-wide contracts with national insurers
- Advised network of hospitals in negotiating participation agreements with over 160 payers and insurers across the country
- Advised hospital clients in negotiating contracts encompassing alternative payment models, including capitation, shared savings, and global payment models
- Advised hospital system clients in negotiating contracts for payment directly with employers
- Advised hospital system clients in connection with new physician alignment models and strategies, including leasing, professional services, and employment arrangements
- Advised hospitals systems in affiliations, acquisitions, and alignments with larger systems
- Advised private equity clients in connection with recent acquisitions of wound-care treatment facilities, billing and coding company, pathology services provider, and medical device manufacturer
- Assisted in evaluation and restructuring of complex multi-state health care management organization working with professionals providing medical and dental care to assisted living facilities and nursing homes
- Navigated change of ownership requirements in 40 states in connection with the acquisition of independent laboratory testing facility
- Analyzed and restructured complicated physician-hospital relationships to ensure compliance from Stark and anti-kickback perspective
- Assisted hospital in navigating significant data loss involving protected health information and personally identifiable information
- Counseled health care clients in general corporate and regulatory compliance matters, including employment negotiations, HIPAA compliance, reporting and disclosure requirements and marketing compliance
Alexis has been named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® lists (2014 – 2016), which recognizes the top 2.5% of Massachusetts lawyers under 40.
Alexis is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and is a mentor for the Boston-based organization Strong Women, Strong Girls. In addition, she works with the Center for Women in Enterprise where she assists entrepreneurs and local business owners in the Boston area.
Alexis received her J.D. from Duke University School of Law (2007), where she was notes editor for the Duke Journal of Comparative and International Law. She earned her B.A., cum laude, from Harvard University (2004).
Alexis is admitted to practice only in Massachusetts. She is not admitted to practice in California.