Christopher V. Burtley is an associate and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm's Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice.
Christopher has experience in various practice areas, including product liability, shareholder disputes, immigration, and complex commercial matters. He also has significant experience with automotive matters and is actively involved in drafting and litigating contracts commonly used in manufacturing industries.
Chris frequently counsels clients on commercial matters affecting businesses and risk management, including licensing, purchasing/selling, procurement, and supply chain disputes. He previously served as national discovery counsel for a major multinational OEM.
Prior to joining Foley, Chris interned for the Hon. Gershwin A. Drain, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan. He also served as a graduate instructor in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts at the University of Michigan.
- Routine involvement in commercial contract negotiation and supply chain counseling for a 6 billion dollar publicly traded manufacturing client
- Defending complex recall and products liability claims against a European Tier-1 supplier alleging automotive product defects and automotive warranty issues
- Defending an American Tier-1 supplier in multi-million dollar breach of warranty action in an adversary claim in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Advocating for pro bono immigration clients, including successfully obtaining T-Visa status for a survivor of human trafficking from Central America
- Managing international electronic discovery and team reviewer efforts in large-scale reviews of hundreds of thousands of documents
- University of Michigan Law School, (J.D., 2015)
- Chair, Black Law Student Association
- Co-chair, JD’s in the D
- Michigan State University, James Madison College, (B.A.)
- Major, International Relations
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Wolverine Bar Association
- Member, National Bar Association
- Member, Genesse County Bar Association
- Co-presenter, “A Lawyer’s Life: Life as a Litigator,” Office of Career Planning, University of Michigan Law School, October 16, 2019
- Presenter, “Butch Carpenter Memorial Scholarship,” University of Michigan Law School, March 22, 2019
- Author, “Cuba: An Introduction to a Familiar Stanger,” Genesee County Bar Association, BarBeat, September/October 2016