Richard J. Dancy is a senior counsel and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He regularly represents public and private companies in a variety of industries regarding mergers and acquisitions, securities law compliance, corporate financings, corporate reorganizations, and general corporate matters. Richard is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice.
Richard represents buyers and sellers in public and private mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations, and strategic partnerships. Richard also represents issuers in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities in addition to providing ongoing advice to public companies regarding their federal securities law compliance, disclosure and reporting obligations.
Richard’s representative matters include:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Plantronics, Inc. (NYSE: PLT) in its $2 billion acquisition of Polycom, Inc.
- Represented Johnson Controls International plc (NYSE: JCI) in multiple acquisition and carve-out divestiture transactions.
- Represented Pentair plc (NYSE: PNR) in its acquisition of the flow control business of Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE: TYC) through a $10 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction.
- Represented Pentair plc (NYSE: PNR) in completing its corporate redomicile from Switzerland to Ireland.
- Represented Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK) in completing its reorganization under Wisconsin’s holding company statute.
- Represented Harley Davidson Inc. (NYSE: HOG) in multiple public and Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings of $750 million in senior notes issued by Harley Davidson, Inc. and over $2 billion in medium term notes issued by its Harley Davidson Financial Services, Inc. subsidiary.
- Represented Pentair plc (NYSE: PNR) in its concurrent public offerings of $1.15 billion and €500 million in senior notes of its Pentair Finance S.A. subsidiary.
- Represented Johnson Controls, Inc. (NYSE: JCI) in its public offering of $1.7 billion in senior notes.
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its initial public offering of $370 million of units of beneficial interest in Whiting USA Trust II (NYSE: WHZ).
- Represented Quad/Graphics, Inc. (NYSE: QUAD) in its Rule 144A and Regulation S offering of $400 million of high-yield senior notes and subsequent public exchange offer.
- Represented public company issuers and underwriters in follow-on offerings of common stock.
Richard earned his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 2010). Prior to entering law school, he received his bachelor’s degree, magna cum laude, in economics and political science from the University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2007).
Richard was selected for inclusion in the 2017 and 2018 Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® list for his work in securities and corporate finance.
Richard is admitted to practice in Wisconsin.