Michael Anthony Donadio is an associate with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Fund Formation & Investment Management Team as well as the firm’s Transaction Practice and Sports & Entertainment Industry Team.
Michael focuses his practice on the representation of private investment fund sponsors and investment advisers on fund formation and fundraising, as well as regulatory, compliance and operational issues. Michael also advises clients with respect to investments in U.S. and non-U.S. private investment funds.
As a member of the firm’s Sports & Entertainment Industry Team, Michael has assisted professional sports franchises concerning sponsorship and suite licensing agreements as well as general corporate governance related matters. In addition, Michael has represented an athletic apparel company with professional athlete endorsement contracts and continues to provide guidance regarding a diverse segment of issues related to the sports & entertainment space.
Prior to Foley, Michael was a legal assistant for the St. Lawrence Public Defender’s Office in Canton, New York. In addition, he was a law clerk for a law firm in Schenectady, New York.
During law school, Michael worked as a judicial intern in the Rhode Island Supreme Court for The Honorable William P. Robinson III, where he assisted in researching and drafting legal decisions on a variety of topics including labor and employment law, corporate law, public zoning and criminal law. He also performed First Amendment legal research for an article to be submitted for publication in a national law journal.
Michael also served as an intern with the legal team at Akebia Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2018)
- President, The Boston College Law Republicans
- Boston College law student ambassador
- Member, Sports and Entertainment Law Society
- Union College (B.A., summa cum laude, 2015)
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Received departmental honors in political science
- Recognized on the Liberty League All-Academic Team as a member of the Division III Varsity Tennis Team
- Selected as an Intercollegiate Tennis Association Scholar Athlete
- Member, Model United Nations
- Member, National History Honor Society
- Member, National Political Science Honor Society
While at Union College, Michael completed his senior thesis titled, “The Politicization of Sport: Encompassing the Ability of Sport to Unite and Divide Particular Populaces.” His final presentation culminated with a thesis defense, as well as a presentation at the Steinmetz Symposium showcasing his thesis project.
- Represented Legal Sea Foods, LLC, an iconic seafood restaurant company, in its sale to PPX Hospitality Brands
- Assisted in representing Plantgistix Holdings, LLC, a premier provider of contract packaging and resin enhancement services, in its sale to A&R Logistics, Inc., a portfolio company of Wind Point Partners
- Represented a private equity firm specialized in tracking global climate and sustainability issues in the closing of its approximately $400 million fund
- Prepared amicus brief on behalf of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education regarding a First Amendment violation of religious freedom in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship v. The University of Iowa
- Represented Sid Wainer & Son, a specialty food distributor in New England, in its sale to the publicly traded company, Chef's Warehouse
- Represented a digital marketing company with its Series A Financing Round
- Assisted in the finalization of athlete endorsement contracts between Bauer Hockey and various NHL players
- Assisted in the asset sale of a bicycle mechanics school
- Assisted in the sale of a portfolio company, McBee Associates Inc., for approximately $50 million
- Represented Digital Guardian Inc. in its $30 million worth of corporate reorganization and financing
- Equity sale of clinical research organization with focus on drug and drug device development for life science companies
- Assisted with the closing of a $10 million venture capital fund
- Co-author, “Investing in Professional Sports Teams – How Sports Investments Differ from Traditional Models,” Legal News: Family Offices (October 1, 2020)
- Co-author, “Sharing the Ball: Where Athlete Philanthropy Has Succeeded or Sailed Out of Bounds,” Legal News: Sports & Entertainment (July 29, 2020)
- Contributing author, “The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES” Act) Is Enacted Into Law,” Foley’s Coronavirus Resource Center (March 27, 2020)
- Contributing author, “IoT Startups & Exits: CEOs & Investors Share Wins, Trade Scars,” Technology Transactions Today (June 6, 2017)
Michael is admitted to practice law in Texas, Massachusetts and New York. He is also a member of the Sports Lawyers Association.