Jack G. Haake is a bankruptcy and business reorganization associate and business litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He has a national practice, primarily comprising the restructuring of companies in and out of bankruptcy, debtors' rights, creditors’ rights, debtor-in-possession financers, and acquisitions of distressed assets and companies. He also has an interest in health care law.
Jack regularly advises and develops strategies for debtor and creditor clients in distressed-debt situations and default scenarios. Jack has participated in chapter 11 filings and out-of-course restructurings across various industries.
Prior to joining Foley, Jack clerked for the Honorable Thomas J. Catliota at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- Counsel to Burkhalter Rigging, Inc., a heavy lift and hauling company in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Counsel to buyer of substantially all of the debtor’s assets in SquareTwo Financial Services Corporation’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Member of team representing liquidating trustee in adversary proceedings and collection matters
- Counsel to manufacturer in state court litigation arising from breach of warranties claim
- Counsel to judgment creditor and successfully collected over $2 million
- Counsel to mortgage company in various bankruptcy cases
- Counsel responsible for Brazilian portion of Chapter 11 debtor representation, Universal Cooperatives, Inc.
University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2011)
- Certificate in Health Law
- Articles editor, Journal of Health Care Law and Policy
- Brigham Young University (B.A., 2007)
- Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic
District of Columbia
Jack is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Walter Chandler Inn of Court.
Jack is a member of the CARE Program (Credit Abuse Resistance Education).
Jack has assisted numerous people successfully prosecute asylum claims.
Jack is fluent in Portuguese and speaks conversational Spanish and Egyptian Arabic.
- Author, "Circuit Split Widens On Bankruptcy Jurisdiction In SSA Claims," Law360 (June 27, 2019)
- Author, “The Bankruptcy Estate and Cryptocurrency,” Westlaw Journal Bankruptcy (May 17, 2018)
- Co-author, “Congress Wades Into Self-Driving Industry,” WardsAuto (October 2, 2017)
- Co-author, “SELF DRIVE Act Passes the House as Senate Prepares Its Own Bill,” Dashboard Insights (September 11, 2017)
- Co-author, “Late to the Scene, the “Safely Ensuring Lives Future Deployment and Research In Vehicle Evolution Act” (“SELF DRIVE Act”) Seeks to Set Course for Future Development,” Dashboard Insights (July 31, 2017)
- Author, “In Tronox, 2nd Circ. Sends Clear Message About Injunctions,” Law360 (May 5, 2017)
- Co-author, “10 Things You Need to Know About Health Care Bankruptcies in 2017,” Health Care Law Today (November 29, 2016)
- Author, “Tribune: The Preemption Road Not Taken,” Law360 (May 12, 2016)
- Author, "Is the Promise of Reorganization in Health Care Illusory?," Law360 (August 5, 2015)
- Author, "Abandoning Environmental Liabilities in Cross-Border Cases," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (January 2015)