Phil Kappell is an associate and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Mr. Kappell practices general corporate and business law with an emphasis in mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and corporate governance. He is a member of the firm’s Transactional & Securities Practice and Food & Beverage Industry Team.
Mr. Kappell regularly represents public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions transactions, public and private debt offerings, securities law compliance, corporate reorganizations, and general corporate and contract counseling.
- Represented The Manitowoc Company, Inc. in its spin-off of Manitowoc Foodservice, Inc. as an independent public company, including registration under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Rule 144A offerings of senior notes and second lien secured notes.
- Represented Paper Machinery Corporation and its shareholders in connection with the transition of 100% ownership of the company to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
- Represented Journal Media Group, Inc. in its $280 million sale to Gannett Co., Inc.
- Represented Harley-Davidson, Inc. in multiple public and private offerings of $750 million in senior notes issued by Harley-Davidson, Inc. and $2.2 billion in medium-term notes issued by its Harley-Davidson Financial Services, Inc. subsidiary.
- Represented the shareholders of Gehl Foods in their sale of the company to the private equity firm Wind Point Capital.
- Represented Journal Communications, Inc. in its $2.2 billion spin-off and merger transaction with The E. W. Scripps Company, Inc.
- Represented Johnson Controls, Inc. in its public offering of $1.7 billion in senior notes.
- Represented Fiserv, Inc. in its public offering of $1.75 billion in senior notes and the subsequent redemption of $1.1 billion in senior notes.
- Represented Younicos Inc. in the strategic acquisition of the assets of Xtreme Power at auction in connection with Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Everett Smith Group in its $850 million sale of Eagle Ottawa to Lear Corp.
- Represented Wynnchurch Capital, Ltd. in its purchase of Latham International Holdings, Inc.
Mr. Kappell graduated with honors from The University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2013), where he was the symposium editor for The University of Chicago Legal Forum. He received his undergraduate degree in business administration with an emphasis in marketing from the University of Wisconsin — Green Bay (B.B.A., summa cum laude, 2010).
Mr. Kappell is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.