Larry Waks is a partner with Foley Gardere in the firm’s Dallas, Austin, and New York offices. He is a member of the firm’s Transactions and Intellectual Property Practices.
Prior to working at Foley, Larry was a partner at a large full-service law firm where he served a broad range of domestic and international clients. Larry represents many clients in the food & beverage, high tech, media and entertainment industries, on a scale that takes him across the country and around the world. His practice experience is broad based, with particular emphasis in food & beverage, consumer product, fashion, entertainment, intellectual property, and mergers and acquisitions. Larry has a keen understanding of risk and how it is best controlled, which makes him a clear choice for clients engaged in mergers, acquisitions, and other strategic transactions.
- $1 billion+ sale; led a six-attorney team representing owners of tequila brand Casamigos (actor George Clooney, entertainment industry giant Rande Gerber, and real-estate tycoon Mike Meldman) in a deal with distilled spirits company Diageo
- $100 million sale of sauce manufacturer to McCormick & Company
- $1 billion going-private sale of medical products company to Blackstone, including simultaneous acquisitions and refinancing
- $400 million sale of high-tech/defense company to The Carlyle Group
- $44 million stock swap acquisition of UK/French media company
- Multiple acquisitions and sales of businesses in excess of $2 billion in all facets of the energy and chemical industry from exploration and production to refining, marketing, and transportation
- $1.7 billion sale of international chemical company on behalf of 20 plus trusts
Larry is consistently recognized by his peers as one of the top corporate IP lawyers in the state of Texas, including the following:
- AV® PreeminentTM Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2010
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Entertainment and Media Law categories, 2016-2019
Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Texas State Bar Entertainment and Sports Section, past president
- Texas State Bar, Copyright Section, chair Texas State Bar, Intellectual Property Section, governing committee
- Texas Bar Foundation, fellow American Bar Association Foundation
- New York Bar Entertainment Practice Section
- American Bar Association Entertainment & Sports Practice Forum, Litigation Division, former chair
- NARAS (Grammys) voting member; LARAS (Latin Grammys) founding and voting member
- Dallas Film Society, board member Austin Film Society Development Board, former member
- St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 1978
- Southern Methodist University, 1978, Finance & Accounting for Lawyers
- Trinity University, B.S., 1975, with honors
Larry is admitted to practice in New York and Texas.
Larry is also admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas.