Lewis Zirogiannis is a partner and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Lewis is based in the firm’s San Francisco office, and also has offices in New York and Silicon Valley. He is a member of the firm’s Government Enforcement Defense & Investigations and Finance Practices.
Lewis’ practice focuses on complex litigation as well as government and internal investigations and compliance, including information governance, data privacy and security. He is particularly skilled at counseling corporations on litigation and regulatory matters in the areas of anti-corruption, trade sanctions, anti-money laundering, antitrust and competition, data privacy and protection and security fraud.
Lewis has extensive in-house experience from serving at global businesses within a major energy company, where he held leadership roles including managing director as well as executive counsel and chief compliance officer. As an integral part of the executive leadership team, he oversaw global compliance programs and supervised litigation, investigations and regulatory relations. He also served as associate general counsel and global anti-corruption officer for a leading insurance company.
Furthermore, Lewis has appeared in the U.S. Supreme Court and federal and state trial and appellate courts and has also conducted investigations in Asia, Latin America, Africa, and Europe.
- Represented executive of a foreign automaker in connection with an ongoing investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice
- Conducted a global internal investigation on behalf of a publicly traded financial services firm involving alleged breaches of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and local anti-corruption laws and regulations
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a global energy company in connection with the development of a gas pipeline project in Mexico
- Conducted comprehensive anti-corruption due diligence on behalf of international waste management company in connection with its potential acquisition of a Latin American subsidiary of a U.S. publicly traded company under an FCPA investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
- Represented numerous private equity portfolio companies in the development and implementation of global corporate compliance programs including in the areas of risk assessments, policies and procedures, training and communication, monitoring and auditing
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of publicly traded financial services firm involving alleged breach of Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations
- Represented a Big Four Accounting Firm Engagement Partner in Wells Proceeding before the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in an Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigation
- Represented a NYMEX floor broker for a global energy company in Wells proceeding before the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) in connection with alleged natural gas market manipulation
- Represented a multimillion-dollar hedge fund in SEC fraud investigation
- Represented an investment banker in a federal criminal case prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York involving insider trading
- Represented several lawyers of the former Dreier LLP law firm in connection with civil proceedings arising out of the release of client escrow accounts
- Represented a foreign financial institution in civil money laundering action brought by the Department of Justice
- Represented, at trial, the chairman of one of the largest travel retailers in North America in an estate litigation brought by a well-known billionaire
- Represented a Big Four accounting firm in the Southern District of New York in litigation arising out of one of the largest accounting frauds in Europe
- Represented Appellant Irwin Eisenstein before the United States Supreme Court in United States ex rel. Eisenstein v. City of New York, No. 08-660 (2010)
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona (October 27-30, 2019)
- Moderator, “Special Considerations for Due Diligence Across the R&D and Product Lifecycle,” ACI's 11th West Coast Conference on FCPA Enforcement and Compliance, San Francisco, California (September 25-26, 2018)
- Speaker, “PLI’s Advanced Compliance & Ethics Workshop,” San Francisco, California (November 9, 2017)
- Speaker, “ACI’s 10th West Coast Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Enforcement & Compliance,” San Francisco, California (September 26, 2017)
- Speaker, “ACI's 18th New York Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” (May 15, 2016)
- Speaker, “ACI’s 32nd International Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Washington, D.C. (November 16, 2015)
- Prior Steering Committee Member, Chief Compliance Officers Forum – Cambridge Forums
- Member, Trace Anti-Bribery Specialist Accreditation (TASA)
- Member, Association of Certified Money-Laundering Specialists (ACAMS)
Lewis is a frequent lecturer and a thought leader in the area of global compliance and investigations,
and has participated in a number of think tanks, benchmarking groups, and industry conferences.
- Honorable Richard M. Berman, U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York, August 2004 to July 2005
- Honorable Mark D. Fox, U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York, September 2003 to August 2004
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Adelphi University (B.A., 1998)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court