Scott Anderson is a partner and registered patent attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he counsels clients on a wide variety of intellectual property issues, particularly those involving patent and trade secret law, product design, licensing, and transactions. Scott is a member of the firm's Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies and Green Energy Technologies Practices. He is also a member of the Manufacturing Sector and Food & Beverage and Automotive Industry Teams.
As a member of one of the largest intellectual property practices in the United States, Scott counsels clients and provides business-focused solutions relating to issues such as:
- Creating, implementing, and managing IP strategy programs and portfolios for small-, mid-, and large-sized companies;
- Managing and ensuring quality of patent prosecution work and deliverables;
- Assessing and managing IP enforcement actions and risk analysis projects;
- Preparing and negotiating IP agreements, including joint development, professional services, and license agreements; and
- Conducting IP due diligence and counseling for mergers, acquisitions, capital funding, and other business transactions.
Scott has worked with manufacturers and investment firms in a wide variety of technical disciplines ranging from electric vehicles, medical devices, health care and diagnostic services, food products and packaging, motorcycle/automotive, cooling and refrigeration systems, sporting goods, clean/green technologies, water technologies, software and internet applications, and other consumer, commercial, industrial, or investment products and services.
Prior to joining Foley, Scott was an engineer for a manufacturer of electronic and electrical products.
- Represented a public automotive supplier in its acquisition of a manufacturer of products and software for electric vehicle charging, energy storage, and power distribution.
- Conducted IP due diligence and negotiated the purchase agreement for an acquisition of a health care service company.
- Developed and managed IP portfolios, and conducted freedom-to-operate analyses, for manufacturers of cooling and refrigeration products.
- Conducted IP due diligence for a cooling system for a private equity investment.
- Represented a manufacturer of light and heavy duty electric drivetrains in the negotiation of a complex commercialization and joint development agreement with a global commercial vehicle supplier.
- Represented an automotive supplier in its investment in and joint development project with a developer and supplier of battery management software for smartphone, automotive, and energy storage manufacturers.
- Developed and managed a comprehensive IP portfolio for an international beverage and beverage equipment company.
- Provided strategic advice on enforcement in Europe of a registered Community Design on a food service product for a U.S. client against a German company. Enforcement included obtaining a preliminary injunction, seizing and destroying infringing products, and securing a customs seizure with European customs officials.
- Represented a global automotive supplier on IP matters in a joint venture with a battery manufacturer for electric vehicles.
- Represented a large public company on IP matters in a joint development project for the development of electric vehicles.
- Represented a private equity firm on IP matters in its acquisition of a multinational subsidiary of a global manufacturer of industrial heat exchangers.
- Represented companies and private equity firms on IP matters in equity and asset acquisitions, including in the following areas: electric vehicle batteries, health care services, industrial heat exchangers, supply chain logistics services, mortgage analytics and management software, mattress and bedding products, landscape and hardscape products, HVAC products and services; residential and commercial lighting, hearth and fireplace products, boating and marine products, AECO services, global navigation satellite system software, and mobile network software.
- Recognized as a Global IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2018 - 2022)
- Recognized among IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2013 - 2021)
Scott is a former adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School, where he taught patent and intellectual property litigation for several years.
Scott has also authored several articles on patent law and is a frequent speaker on a variety of intellectual property related subjects:
- Co-author, “Design Patent Protection Remains a Valuable Tool for Automotive Manufacturers,” Dashboard Insights (2022)
- Co-presenter, “Top 10 Electric Vehicle IP Issues,” Foley Automotive Forum at North American International Auto Show, Detroit (2022)
- Author, “Key Intellectual Property Considerations for Joint or Outside Development Projects,” Dashboard Insights (2022)
- Presenter, “Key Intellectual Property Issues When Considering Design/Development Projects with a Contractor, Supplier or Customer,” Foley & Lardner LLP Milwaukee CLE Week (2017)
- Co-author, “Water Technologies Resume Growth,” Intellectual Property Today (2014)
- Presenter, “Water Technology Patent Landscape," at the Water 2.0 Conference (2014) and at The Water Council Quarterly Member Meeting (2014)
- Co-author, “Water Technology Patent Landscape Report,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2013)
- Presenter, “Basics of Intellectual Property,” UW-Milwaukee College of Business (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Panelist, “Models for Open Innovation – A View from the Trenches,” Foley & Lardner LLP Annual IP Conference (2012)
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property As Collateral,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2009)
- Panelist, “Cutting-Edge Developments and Case Analysis,” VIP GlobalNet LLC CLE Conference (2008)
- Presenter, “Considerations When Protecting Food Innovations With Patents or Trade Secrets,” Foley & Lardner LLP Food & Beverage Industry Team Webcast Series (2008)
- Presenter, “Distinguished Speaker,” Marquette University Intellectual Property Law Review Annual Banquette (2006)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., summa cum laude, 1999)
- Editor-In-Chief, Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
- Member, Marquette Law Review
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 1993)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Member, Licensing Executive Society
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Scott previously served as president of the board for Broadscope Disability Services, a Wisconsin nonprofit that provides programs, services, and resources for people and families living with disabilities.