Melanie Clark is a partner and Business Law Department attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. Melanie is based in the Salt Lake City office where she is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
Melanie’s practice focuses on advising on all aspects of large-scale real estate projects including acquisition and disposition of land, leasing, financing, and project development.
Prior to joining Foley, she worked as a partner at another law firm in Salt Lake City. In this role, she provided legal counsel with initial land acquisition, financing, and entitlements to construction completion and operation or sale.
- Represented buyer in negotiating, documenting, and closing on purchase of portfolio with properties in ten jurisdictions, including performing related due diligence review of properties.
- Represented seller in negotiating and documenting sale of twelve restaurant properties.
- Represented various clients in drafting and negotiating leases for office, retail, industrial, and mixed-use premises.
- Represented multiple investors in acquisition of solar project portfolios, including performing due diligence on properties in up to 14 jurisdictions.
- Researched licensing laws in all 50 states and advised on best practices for real estate licensees.
- Prepared declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions and related governing documents for commercial and residential condominium and subdivision projects.
- Created form purchase contracts for sale of units in condominium hotels.
- Represented multiple developers of fractional interest projects, including preparing project and sales documents and registering projects with state real estate departments.
- Researched regulatory structure, requirements and penalties in all 50 states for timeshares, exchange companies and short-term vacation products.
- Drafted and negotiated easement and encroachment agreements for residential and commercial properties.
- Obtained zoning approvals for large retailer.
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Selected as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (Utah) by Chambers USA (currently: Real Estate), 2020–2022
- Listed among Rising Stars (Real estate), Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2014–2015, 2017–2019
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite, 2020
- S. J. Quinney College of Law, Adjunct Professor, Real Estate Drafting, Spring 2019–present
- Co-presenter, “Structuring Your Deal Now to Plan for the Exit 15 Years Later,” 24th Annual Utah Housing Matters Conference (September 2020)
- “Title Insurance Dissection - Real World Examples,” NBI Seminar, Salt Lake City, Utah (May 2019)
- “Spotting and Fixing Complicated Title Commitment Issues,” NBI Webinar (January 2019)
- Co-author, “New Utah Law Prohibits Unequal Treatment for Rental Units by Homeowners Associations”, Ballard Spahr LLP Real Estate Law Blog (May 2015)
- “Form Based Zoning,” Utah State Bar Annual Convention, Snowmass, Colorado (July 2013)
- University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law (JD, highest honors, 2007)
- Executive Editor, Utah Law Review
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Utah State University (BS, cum laude, 1999)
- Vice President, Pi Sigma Alpha
- Recipient, Merrill Scholarship
- Real Property Section CLE Committee, Utah State Bar, 2014–2015