Scott Anderson is a partner and registered patent attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he counsels clients on a wide variety of intellectual property issues, particularly those involving patent and trade secret law, product design, licensing and transactions. Scott is a member of the firm's Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies and Green Energy Technologies Practices. He is also a member of the Food & Beverage and Automotive Industry Teams.
As a member of one of the largest intellectual property practices in the United States, he counsels clients and provides business-focused solutions relating to issues such as:
- Creating, implementing and managing IP strategy programs and portfolios for small, mid and large sized companies
- Managing and ensuring quality of patent prosecution work and deliverables
- Assessing and managing IP enforcement actions and risk analysis projects
- Preparing and negotiating IP agreements, including joint development, professional services and license agreements
- Conducting IP due diligence and counseling for mergers, acquisitions, capital funding and other business transactions
Scott has worked with manufacturers and investment firms in a wide variety of technical disciplines, ranging from motorcycle/automotive, electric vehicles, medical devices, sporting goods, food products and packaging, clean/green technologies, water technologies, software and internet applications and other consumer, commercial, industrial or investment products and services.
Prior to joining Foley, Scott was an engineer for a manufacturer of electronic and electrical products.
- Developed and managed a comprehensive IP portfolio for an international beverage and beverage equipment company
- Provided strategic advice on enforcement in Europe of a registered Community Design on a food service product for a U.S. client against a German company. Enforcement included obtaining a preliminary injunction, seizing and destroying infringing products, and securing a customs seizure with European customs officials.
- Represented a global automotive supplier on IP matters in a joint venture with a battery manufacturer
- Represented a large public company on IP matters in a joint development project for the development of electric vehicles
- Represented a private equity firm on IP matters in its acquisition of a multinational subsidiary of a global manufacturer of industrial heat exchangers
- Represented a private equity firms on IP matters in stock and asset acquisitions
- Recognized as a Global IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2018 - 2021)
- Recognized among IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2013 - 2020)
Scott is a former adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School, where he taught patent and intellectual property litigation for several years.
Scott has also authored several articles on patent law and is a frequent speaker on a variety of intellectual property related subjects:
- Presenter, “Key Intellectual Property Issues When Considering Design/Development Projects with a Contractor, Supplier or Customer,” Foley & Lardner LLP Milwaukee CLE Week (2017)
- Co-author, “Water Technologies Resume Growth,” Intellectual Property Today (2014)
- Presenter, “Water Technology Patent Landscape," at the Water 2.0 Conference (2014) and at The Water Council Quarterly Member Meeting (2014)
- Co-author, “Water Technology Patent Landscape Report,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2013)
- Presenter, “Basics of Intellectual Property,” UW-Milwaukee College of Business (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Panelist, “Models for Open Innovation – A View from the Trenches,” Foley & Lardner LLP Annual IP Conference (2012)
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property As Collateral,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2009)
- Panelist, “Cutting-Edge Developments and Case Analysis,” VIP GlobalNet LLC CLE Conference (2008)
- Presenter, “Considerations When Protecting Food Innovations With Patents or Trade Secrets,” Foley & Lardner LLP Food & Beverage Industry Team Webcast Series (2008)
- Presenter, “Distinguished Speaker,” Marquette University Intellectual Property Law Review Annual Banquette (2006)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., summa cum laude, 1999)
- Member, Marquette Law Review
- Editor-In-Chief, Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 1993)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Licensing Executive Society
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Scott previously served as president of the board for Broadscope Disability Services, a Wisconsin nonprofit that provides programs, services and resources for people and families living with disabilities.