Peter Loh is vice chair of the Distribution & Franchise Practice Group and a first chair trial lawyer at Foley & Lardner LLP. He represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation disputes throughout the country in the retail, tech, finance, energy, and manufacturing sectors, involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA). Specifically Peter has extensive experience representing franchisors. He has litigated against the Department of Labor and Small Business Administration on behalf of national franchise systems in cases involving employment misclassification and the issuance of loans from the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). While he has extensive courtroom experience, Peter also spends a significant portion of his practice counseling clients on how to avoid litigation, recognizing that clients view it as inconvenient, expensive, and unpleasant. They appreciate his pragmatism and his ability to view litigation, or potential litigation, as a business dispute in search of a business solution.
He has handled cases in state and federal courts in Texas, Oklahoma, California, New York, Hawaii, Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, Delaware, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania. While he has extensive courtroom experience, Peter also spends a significant portion of his practice counseling clients on how to avoid litigation – recognizing that clients view it as inconvenient, expensive and unpleasant. They appreciate his pragmatism and his ability to view litigation – or potential litigation – as a business dispute in search of a business solution. Peter is also known for his immediacy and accessibility when it comes to responding to client phone calls, emails and texts.
He also speaks basic conversational Mandarin.
- Colonial Savings, F.A.
- Elias Industries, Inc.
- iServe Residential Lending LLC
- GEA Farm Technologies
- Good Times Restaurants, Inc.
- Jani-King International Inc.
- McGrath RentCorp
- Nationstar Mortgage LLC
- Steel King Industries, Inc.
- TGI Friday’s
- Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants, Inc.
- SSCP Management, Inc.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Asian American Bar Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Association
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Association
Speaking Engagements & Publications
Moderator and Contributor, “Supply Arrangements and Revolts: Franchisor’s Rights v. Franchisee Revolts,” IFA Legal Symposium (May 2022)
Moderator, Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (November 2021)
- Contributor, “The Franchise Rule and State Franchise Requirements (TX),” Thomson Reuters Practical Law Commercial Transactions (November 3, 2021)
- Speaker, “It's Baack! (With a Vengeance) -- The Joint Employer Doctrine,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (October 2021)
- Co-author, “Making the case: remote litigation can benefit your franchise in the long-term,” Global Franchise Magazine (August 2021)
- Quoted, “Remote Legal Process Benefits ‘Zees and ‘Zors, Says Lawyer,” Franchise Times (June 9, 2021)
- Contributor, “Zooming to Victory in Remote Franchise Litigation,” IFA Annual Legal Symposium (May 2021)
- Speaker, “So, You Want to Terminate? Some Do's and Don'ts,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (June 7, 2020)
- Contributor, “The Franchise Rule and State Franchise Requirements (TX),” Thomson Reuters Practical Law Commercial Transactions (September 21, 2020)
- Contributor, “The Franchise Rule and State Franchise Requirements (TX),” Thomson Reuters Practical Law Commercial Transactions (September 30, 2019)
- Speaker, “How to Defend Against Joint Employment and Employee Misclassification Claims,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (2018, 2019)
- Guest Lecturer, eDiscovery and related issues, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (2013)
- Graduate, Leadership Dallas class of 2018, Dallas Regional Chamber of Commerce
- President, Swiss Avenue Historic District Association (2017-2019)
- Member of Board of Directors, Dallas Council on World Affairs (2018-Present)
- Chair of Advancement Committee, Circle 10 Troop 43, Boy Scouts of America
- Vice President, Vogel Alcove, Flight Young Professionals Founding Board of Directors (2013-2014)
- Coach, St. Thomas Aquinas Wildcats, Dallas Little League (2013-2016)
- Member, St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School Parents' Advisory Council (elected 2010-2013)
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Lower Greenville Neighborhood Association (Dallas; elected, 2009-2012)
- Graduate, Leadership Arts Institute, Business Council for the Arts (2006-2007)
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters® business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- Business Litigation (2020-2022)
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Business/Commercial Litigation (2016-2022)
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Member, Texas Review of Litigation Law Journal
- Georgetown University (B.A., 1995)
- Asian Studies
- Member, Phi Alpha Sigma, The National Political Science Honor Society
- Mandarin Chinese Studies, Beijing University, Beijing, China (1993)
- Texas (2002)
- Texas State Courts (2002)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit (2011)