Michael (Mike) Manookin is a senior counsel and intellectual property litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is based in the firm’s Salt Lake City office, where he is a member of the Innovative Technology and Health Care & Life Sciences Sectors.
Mike focuses his practice on IP and complex litigation, having represented clients in high-stakes patent litigation in Federal District Court and the International Trade Commission (ITC). He has experience in reviewing and analyzing patent portfolios to assess potential infringement by competitors as well as potential risks for clients.
Mike previously served as an extern for Justice Thomas Lee of the Utah Supreme Court. During law school, he participated in the Moot Court Board and was vice president of the Student Intellectual Property Law Association.
In addition to his legal work, Mike formerly served as an officer in the Utah Army National Guard.
- Defended Vivint Inc. in an International Trade Commission investigation related to allegations of infringement of smart video doorbell and camera technology. Secured a summary determination order from the administrative law judge (ALJ) invalidating each of the patents asserted against Vivint’s products.
- Represented Lifetime Products in an arbitration dispute related to patent infringement and licensing dispute. Secured a judgment against the infringer.
- Representing Vivint Inc. in a patent infringement case against ADT LLC in the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah. The case involves smart home, video recognition, home security, and automation technology.
- Representing Vivint Inc. in a patent infringement case against Alarm.com in the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah related to smart home security technology.
- Provide ongoing representation for development and risk assessment for businesses related to technology, licensing, and market positioning.
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Received, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for:
- Intellectual Property Law (2023)
- Litigation – Intellectual Property (2023)
- Patent Law (2023)
- J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University (JD, magna cum laude, 2015)
- University of Utah (BS, 2011)
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Section of the Utah State Bar