Jason Conti is a partner and trial and appellate attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. Jason has 20 years of experience handling complex, high-stakes commercial and partnership disputes, property tax appeal litigation, real estate litigation, and intellectual property, trade secrets, and computer software litigation. Jason has successfully represented publicly and privately owned corporations, real estate developers, property owners, national retailers, software developers, media clients, partnerships, and taxpayers in state and federal trial and appellate courts, and administrative agencies. He has obtained numerous verdicts, published court decisions, settlements, and dismissals in favor of his clients, including over $50 million in property tax refunds for his property owner clients.
Property Tax Appeals
- Represented both commercial and industrial clients in achieving millions of dollars of property tax savings in Michigan and outside the state
- Counseled Michigan's largest chemical facility in property tax appeal resulting in a refund in excess of $30 million
- Prosecuted property tax appeals for apartment property resulting in tax savings in excess of $1 million
- Counseled taxpayer of a Michigan headquarters building in a property tax appeal resulting in tax savings in excess of $500,000
- Represented industrial clients in appeal of property classification resulting in more than $30 million in tax refunds
- Prosecuted property tax appeal for Michigan hotel, which resulted in tax savings in excess of $750,000
- Represented golf course country club properties in property tax appeals
- Counseled taxpayer in property tax appeal of mobile home park
- Counseled a taxpayer in "mistake of fact" claim seeking refund of erroneously paid taxes resulting in favorable published Michigan Court of Appeals decision
- Represented property owners in disputes with cities regarding Industrial Facilities Exemption Tax Certificates and other exemption claims resulting in favorable decisions and settlements
- Represented taxpayer in “mistake of fact” claim regarding the reporting of art work which resulted in favorable published Michigan Court of Appeals decision
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented numerous commercial landlords in complex summary proceedings, eviction matters and unpaid rent actions; recovered millions of dollars in unpaid rent from delinquent tenants
- Trial counsel in jury trial in Oakland County Circuit Court relating to construction of residential home, which resulted in jury verdict of 100% of client's demand
- Trial counsel in arbitrations relating to construction of luxury homes resulting in favorable awards to clients
- Represented client in litigation involving exercising option to purchase
- Trial counsel in arbitrations relating to delay claims by general contractors against owners
- Represented client against contractor regarding mold claims in multi-unit apartment complex resulting in summary disposition on liability and million dollar settlement
- Represented luxury home builders in connection with various building disputes
- Defended actions regarding easement and right-of-way disputes
- Defended owners, general contractors and trades in lien foreclosure actions
- Trial counsel in arbitration regarding the sale of a private company, which resulted in an award and payment to client in excess of $850,000
- Trial counsel in federal district jury trial representing defendant regarding the purchase of an automotive tier two supplier
- Defended claims of misappropriation of trade secrets
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Defendant in connection with multi-million dollar claims of misappropriation of computer software.
- Defended claims of defective industrial manufacturing machinery and other UCC Article 2 disputes
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment in enforcement of loan agreements on behalf of lender
- Defended pawnbrokers in defense of various statutory claims
- Defended client in million dollar claim by insurance company regarding alleged theft of jewelry
- Defended officers and directors in federal securities action arising out of claims of shareholder oppression by minority shareholders
- Trial counsel in arbitration representing corporate officers and directors in shareholder oppression claims resulting in a no-cause award in favor of clients
- Counseled clients regarding data breaches of electronically stored information and data
- Defended claims of trademark and copyright infringement and false advertising regarding the release and sale of best-selling exercise videos
- Obtained summary dismissal of trademark infringement and false advertising claims for national restaurant/bar chain
- Defended royalty fee claims regarding retail sales of best-selling children's video and horror movie series, as well as recording artists
- Managed and filed federal, state and international trademark and service mark registrations for more than 1,300 marks, including responding to office actions and file copyright registrations
- Counseled clients regarding trademark, trade dress and copyright issues inherent in package and product designs and in comparative advertising and false advertising matters
- Trial counsel in arbitration involving computer software
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to Jason joining Foley.
Jason has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Litigation - Real Estate (2012 - 2023), Commercial Litigation (2013 - 2023) and Litigation and Controversy - Tax (2013 - 2023) and was named the Detroit Litigation and Controversy - Tax Lawyer of the Year in 2016. He was named to DBusiness magazine’s 2010, 2014 - 2016, and 2022 lists of Top Lawyers, a list that draws nominations from over 21,000 attorneys. In addition, Jason has been peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system.
Jason is admitted to practice in Michigan. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, including the Litigation and Taxation sections, as well as the American Bar Association and Oakland County Bar Association.
Jason earned his law degree from Vanderbilt University Law School where he was an articles editor for the Journal of Transnational Law and a member of the Moot Court Board. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan (B.A., with high distinction) where he was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Kappa Delta honor societies.