Steve Gerenraich is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses on the areas of mergers & acquisitions (M&A), private equity and venture capital, joint venture, and other commercial transactions, with particular experience in energy and infrastructure, and health care and health care-related companies. Steve is a member of the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure and Construction, Health Care Industry, and Food & Beverage Industry Teams.
Steve has extensive experience in the infrastructure, construction, and renewable energy fields, where he has represented publicly- and privately-held companies, private equity funds, investment banking firms, entrepreneurs, and other interested parties in mergers, sales, acquisitions, 363 Sales and other distressed acquisitions, reorganizations, management buyouts, and other restructurings as well as private placements, venture capital transactions, and other equity and debt financings.
Steve also has represented nonprofit and for-profit institutional health care providers (hospitals, health systems, and integrated delivery systems), large physician groups, specialty providers (ASC development organizations), private equity firms, and industry consultants in a wide variety of health care transactions, including purchases and sales, mergers, transfers of sponsorship of hospitals and health systems, physician practice acquisitions, and complex joint venture arrangements.
He also represents companies, both public and private, in a number of other industries, including insurance, financial services, transportation, metal recycling, manufacturing, and consumer products in connection with both mergers and acquisitions as well as a variety of day-to-day legal and business issues, including securities law compliance, corporate governance, supply agreements, sales representative agreements, licensing arrangements, employment agreements, consulting agreements, and purchase arrangements as well as more complex commercial arrangements such as joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
Representative matters include the following:
- Represented a large utility construction and infrastructure service enterprise in multiple acquisitions of natural gas and electrical transmission and distribution construction firms
- Represented a leading global supplier of support software and services to the energy transportation industry in a sale to publicly traded company
- Represented a U.S.-based private equity firm in the acquisition of one of the largest U.S. private construction contractors, including government contracting and security clearance matters
- Represented a U.S.-based private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a hydro-excavation platform company, along with follow-up growth acquisitions
- Represented a large U.S.-based raw materials processing and handling corporation in the acquisition of a coke-processing facility in bankruptcy
- Represented a leading provider of engineering, procurement, and construction services to the renewable energy and fossil fuel generation industry in North America, in the acquisition of a renewable energy and construction contractor
- Represented a UK-based metal recycling firm in connection with its U.S. acquisitions and implementation of its U.S. growth strategy, including strategic alliances and joint ventures with local producers
- Represented Quest Analytics, a leader in health plan provider network management software and services, to Vestar Capital Partners
- Represented Louisiana Children’s Medical Center in connection with entering into a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with the Jefferson Parish Hospital Services District for the lease and operation rights to West Jefferson Medical Center
- Represented the debtor estate in the sale of the Allegheny Health, Education, and Research Foundation — the largest nonprofit healthcare bankruptcy in U.S. history
- Represented Indiana University Health in the formation of a joint ventured de novo health system in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Represented HonorHealth in the acquisition of the medical oncology and hematology practice of Arizona Center for Cancer Care
- Represented Indiana University Health in the sale of Indiana University Health La Porte and Stark Hospitals to a joint venture company owned by Indiana University Health and Community Health Systems
- Represented a creditors committee in connection with the sale of beef and pork processing businesses in a side-by-side bankruptcy auction process
- Represented the management in connection with a leveraged buyout of a wholesale baked goods company
- Represented a specialty coffee manufacturer in connection with corporate restructuring and financing matters
- Represented a publicly-traded co-packer in connection with contract and other ongoing general corporate matters
- Represented an investor group in connection with ownership interest in a regional fast-casual chain
- Represented a private equity fund in acquisition of an organic and specialty food product business
- Represented a leading, multiline insurance distributor that builds end-to-end insurance products utilizing advanced artificial intelligence (AI) engineering and data analytics in connection with several acquisitions as part of its U.S. growth plan.
- Represented the buyers (an affiliated group consisting of U.S., Canadian, and Mexican entities) in the purchase of railroad rolling stock, consisting of several hundred railcars and locomotives, related equipment, and components and leases of rolling stock not owned by the seller
- Represented a U.S. boutique investment bank in connection with a merger with an Australia-based global financial services provider
- Represented a U.S.-based manufacturer of hair care products in a sale to an India-based consumer products conglomerate
- University of Illinois Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1996)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1989)