Gregory E. Neppl is a partner and antitrust lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice includes antitrust counseling, merger review and HSR notification preparation, government investigation response, antitrust compliance program development, and the litigation of antitrust, intellectual property and commercial matters. He also counsels numerous hedge funds and other institutional investors pursuing event-driven and risk arbitrage investment strategies, including merger, litigation, regulatory and public policy arbitrage situations. Gregory has significant jury and bench trial experience from his private and government practices. He is a member of the firm’s Antitrust; Government Enforcement Defense & Investigations; and Trade Association Practices.
Prior to joining Foley, Gregory served as Senior Antitrust and Regulatory Counsel for Litton Industries, Inc., a subsidiary of Northrop Grumman Corporation as of 2001. In that position, he provided day-to-day antitrust counseling; reviewed acquisitions, teaming agreements, strategic alliances and patent licenses for antitrust issues; prepared HSR notifications and facilitated agency approvals; responded to antitrust agency investigations and inquiries; and developed and implemented antitrust compliance training programs.
Gregory has also previously served as a trial attorney with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (Litigation II Section). In that role, he conducted numerous civil and criminal antitrust investigations. He also served as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in Washington, D.C., where he prosecuted criminal matters in D.C. Superior Court. Prior to joining the Department of Justice, Gregory practiced as a general commercial litigator in Tampa, Florida.
- Duke University (J.D., 1987)
- Duke University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1984)
Gregory has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system.
- Author, “Antitrust Enforcement ‘Reform’ as a Political Issue: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” Foley Insights, November 7, 2019
- Author, “Antitrust Surprises from DOJ during the Trump Administration – Predicting the Consequences,” Foley Insights, October 10, 2019
- Presenter, “Minimizing Antitrust Violation Risks,” Detroit Auto Show, January 13, 2016
- Presenter, “Minimizing Antitrust Violation Risks,” Los Angeles Auto Show, November 19, 2015
- Author, “FTC’s $1.2 Billion Disgorgement Settlement With Cephalon: Heightened Scrutiny of Hatch-Waxman Settlements,” Foley Legal News: Life Sciences, June 2, 2015
- Presenter, “Auto Parts Antitrust Investigation Update,” briefing to the Original Equipment Suppliers Association, December 5, 2013
- Author, “Supreme Court Game-Changer: Rule of Reason Applies to ANDA Reverse Payment Settlements,” Foley Legal News Alert: Antitrust, June 13, 2013
- Presenter, "Antitrust Enforcement Update," briefing to the Original Equipment Suppliers Association, December 6, 2012
- Presenter, "U.S. Antitrust Enforcement: Trends and Tools," briefings to the Danish American Business Forum, June 19/20, 2012
- Presenter, "Antitrust Enforcement Trends," briefing to the Original Equipment Suppliers Association, April 27, 2012
- Interviewee, Bloomberg Live TV interview regarding Senate Judiciary Committee, Antitrust Subcommittee hearing on pending AT&T/T-Mobile transaction, May 11, 2011
- Presenter, "Criminal Antitrust Investigations," CLE presentation for attorneys and clients, May 10, 2010
- Author, "Possible Revision of the Horizontal Merger Guidelines," Foley Legal News Alert: Antitrust, September 29, 2009
- Author, "As Part of Trend of Increased Antitrust Enforcement, DOJ Focuses on Agricultural Markets: Nationwide Series of Workshops Announced for 2010, Public Comments Invited," Foley Legal News Alert: Food Industry, August 19, 2009
- Author, "Financial Crisis And Merger Review Standards," Competition Law360, April 30, 2009
- Author, "Jon Leibowitz Appointed FTC Chair: Potential Impact on the Pharmaceutical Industry," Foley Legal News Alert: Life Sciences, March 12, 2009
- Presenter, "Staying Competitive and Compliant in the EU – Part III," Foley Web Conference, February 19, 2009