Tim Patterson is an associate, litigator, and business counselor with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Distribution & Franchise and Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practices.
Tim counsels manufacturing clients on product distribution law, dealership law, channel-network management, and antitrust-related issues in all 50 states, and he regularly represents these clients in complex commercial litigation matters in both state and federal court. Tim also served as in-house counsel for a global medical device manufacturer’s equipment and services business units.
Tim manages Foley’s “State Distribution & Franchise Law Map,” a tool with which Foley’s clients can easily access comprehensive information concerning distribution and franchise laws in the United States. Additionally, Tim is a regular speaker at Foley’s Annual Law of Product Distribution & Franchise Seminar, and a volume editor of the International Agency & Distribution Agreements treatise.
- Author, “Making the Case: Remote Litigation Can Benefit Your Franchise in the Long-Term,” Global Franchise Magazine (August 2021)
- Speaker, “All Over the Map—Navigating Challenges Posed By State Law,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (2021)
- Speaker, “State(s) of Confusion: Defining the Relationship Under State Distribution Laws,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (2019)
- Speaker, “Termination: Building Your Best Case,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (2018)
- Speaker, “Reaping What You Sow: Protecting Your Future Yields with Non-Competes and Trade Secret Law,” Foley & Lardner LLP Law of Product Distribution Franchise Seminars (2017)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Comment editor, Marquette Law Review
- Leader, Marquette Academic Success Program
- Recipient, CALI Awards in contracts, civil procedure, alternative dispute resolution, advanced legal research and employment law
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (B.A., magna cum laude)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western districts of Wisconsin
- 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals