Christopher DeGennaro is a senior counsel and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP in New York. He focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and represents large corporations, small businesses and individuals in a wide variety of litigation areas in state and federal courts throughout the country. Chris has significant trial and alternative dispute resolution experience, having tried civil and criminal cases to verdict and represented clients in mediations and arbitrations. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Labor & Employment, and Consumer Law, Finance & Class Action practice groups. Additionally, Chris is a member of the firm’s Innovative Technology Sector industry team.
Prior to joining Foley, Chris clerked for the Honorable A. Kathleen Tomlinson in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Earlier in his career, Chris served as an assistant district attorney with the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office.
Chris devotes considerable time to various pro bono efforts. Notably, Chris pioneered the firm’s legal services partnership with Black Connect, a national non-profit organization focused on eliminating the racial wealth gap in America by increasing the number and success rate of black-owned businesses. He is also the New York office co-liaison for Foley’s Racial Justice and Equity Pro Bono practice group (RJEPG). Further, Chris is part of the EDNY's Criminal Justice Act Panel mentorship program.
- Obtained multimillion dollar trial victory for Fortune 200 food products company in contract arbitration against former distributor
- Obtained dismissal of business tort and breach of contract litigation in New York state court on behalf of national transportation holdings company
- Obtained dismissal of M&A lawsuit (regarding post-closing adjustment) in D.Del. on behalf of global logistics company
- Obtained dismissal of M&A lawsuit (regarding acquisition due diligence) in S.D.N.Y. on behalf of national healthcare consulting firm
- Obtained summary judgment of employment discrimination lawsuit in S.D.N.Y. on behalf of national financial services firm
- Obtained transfer of false advertising class action against national pharmacy chain (from E.D.N.Y. to N.D.Ill.) where plaintiffs engaged in forum shopping by filing in E.D.N.Y. after voluntarily dismissing an almost identical action in N.D.Ill. (where there was a pending motion to dismiss)
- Obtained settlement of consumer fraud class action in New Jersey state court on behalf of national title agency
- Representing multinational consumer products company in connection with false advertising class action in New York state court
- Representing Am Law 100 law firm in rent-abatement action against commercial landlord in New York state court
- Counsel and defend corporations, including consumer goods retailers and manufacturers, in connection with consumer class actions
- Counsel and defend financial services firms in connection with employment matters and litigation
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY (J.D., 2015)
- Fordham International Law Journal: Associate Editor (2014-2015); Staff (2013-2014)
- William M. Tendy Federal Trial Competition: Champion and Best Advocate (2015)
- Brendan Moore Trial Advocacy Team: Interschool and Intraschool Competitor (2013-2015)
- Academic Scholarship Recipient (2012-2015)
- Dean’s List (2014-2015)
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY (B.A., Philosophy; Educational Studies, cum laude, 2011)
- New York
- New Jersey
- The U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey