Taylor Appling is a litigation associate in the firm’s Houston office and member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group. She litigates trade secret, noncompete, unfair competition, and employment claims. Taylor is also a member of the Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) Team.
In addition to regularly defending large and mid-sized companies in state and federal court, Taylor works directly with general counsel, executive-level management, and human resources professionals to ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations and develop proactive tools for preventing employment-related litigation.
Taylor’s experience includes:
- Defending companies and their employees at jury trial and expedited injunction hearings based on claims of trade secret misappropriation, covenants not to compete, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and tortious interference with business relations.
- Defending claims of unlawful discrimination, pay disparity, hostile work environment, and retaliation under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and equivalent state laws and regulations.
- Drafting executive employment agreements, severance and release agreements, covenants not to compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, staffing contracts, independent contractor agreements, and arbitration provisions.
- Counseling and defending employers against federal and state Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) citations, whistleblower complaints, and wage and hour disputes.
- Conducting training sessions for management, HR, and hourly employees on topics related to ADA, FMLA, reasonable accommodation procedures, lawful hiring and promotions practices, discrimination, and harassment.
- Creating, reviewing, and updating employment policies and practices to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Baylor Law School (J.D., 2014)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A., 2010)
- The Best Lawyers in America© Ones to Watch (2021-2024)
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars (2022-2023)
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (2019-Present)
- Member of the Houston Bar Association
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
- Labor and Employment Section
- Member of the Houston Association of Women Attorneys
- Member of the Houston Young Lawyers Association
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit