Dallas Independent School District's publication, thehub, featured the 23rd Annual Gardere MLK Jr. Oratory Semifinal Competition held on Dec. 9. Students representing 15 Dallas ISD schools presented original speeches answering the question, "If Dr. King were to win the Nobel Peace Prize today, what would he say in his acceptance speech?"
The students advancing to the final competition scheduled for Jan. 16, 2015 at the Majestic Theatre are:
- Kywin Brown, fourth grade, Wilmer-Hutchins Elementary
- Serenity Dugan, fourth grade, Thomas L. Marsalis Elementary
- Jalien Hedgeman, fifth grade, Clara Oliver Elementary
- Walker Homan, fifth grade, Harry C. Withers Elementary
- Etana King, fifth grade, John Neely Bryan Elementary
- Camilla Meza, fifth grade, Thomas Tolbert Elementary
- Hannah Wesley, fifth grade, Charles Rice Learning Center
- Aisha Young, fifth grade, William Brown Miller Elementary
The complete article can be viewed here. For more information about the Gardere MLK Jr. Oratory competition, including video of past winning speeches, click here.