Partner Diane Hazel and Senior Counsel Kate Gehl will moderate panels at the 2023 ABA Antitrust Law Section Spring Meeting in Washington, D.C. Diane will lead a panel presented by the Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals, Mergers & Acquisitions, and State Enforcement Committees, while Kate will oversee a panel presented by the Intellectual Property Committee. Details on the event are as follows:
Not Your Average SEP and FRAND Panel
March 29, 2023; 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Divergent views persist on how to enforce fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) commitments and how to effectively balance the interests of standard essential patent owners against downstream innovators. This panel will engage in a mock licensing negotiation between an implementer and an innovator to explore their different viewpoints and where there might be common ground.
Session Chair/Moderator: Kate Gehl
- Michael Carrier (Rutgers University; Camden, NJ)
- Dina Kallay (Head of Antitrust (PR, Americas & Asia-Pacific; Ericsson; Washington, D.C.)
- Dan Lang (Vice President, Intellectual Property; Cisco Systems; San Diego, CA)
- Koren Wong-Ervin (Axinn Veltrop & Harkrider; Washington, D.C.)
Check Your Blindspot: State Roadblocks When Merging
March 30, 2020; 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
State AGs are increasingly active in merger enforcement, and merging parties must consider federal and state merger notification laws and review. States are not afraid to challenge transactions without their federal counterparts but may focus on labor or non-price dimensions of competition, such as local community impact or charitable mission. Can parties overcome unique challenges when facing multiple roadblocks?
Session Chair/Moderator: Diane R. Hazel
- Adam Gitlin (Chief Antitrust & NonProfit Enforcement Section, Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia; Washington, D.C.)
- Elinor R. Hoffman (Chief, Antitrust Bureau; Office of the New York State Attorney General; New York, NY)
- Jonathan Mark (Antitrust Division Chief, Washington State Attorney General’s Office; Seattle, WA)
- Stephen Y. Wu (McDermott Will & Emery; Chicago, IL)
Click here to register for the conference.