Paul Bargren is a retired partner with Foley & Lardner LLP. Mr. Bargren has focused his litigation practice on environmental and insurance matters, defamation and open records matters. As part of his media work, he has counseled on sweepstakes, contests, promotions and advertising.
His representative matters include:
- State of Minnesota v. 3M Company, Hennepin County, Minn. (representing intervenor Metropolitan Council in river cleanup case).
- Yankee Gas v. UGI Utilities, Inc., District of Connecticut, (CERCLA issues relating to a manufactured gas plant cleanup).
- SCE&G v. UGI Utilities, Inc., District of South Carolina (CERCLA issues relating to a manufactured gas plant cleanup).
- Brunswick Corp. v. Allstate, et al., Cook County, Illinois (insurance recovery at environmental sites).
- UGI Utilities, Inc., v. Cons. Edison, Second Circuit, U.S. Supreme Court (pet. for review) (limits of liability under CERCLA).
- City of Waukesha v. Viacom International, Inc., Eastern District of Wisconsin (municipal landfill cleanup under CERCLA, RCRA).
- A-C Reorganization Trust v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., Eastern District of Wisconsin (industrial site cleanup under CERCLA, RCRA).
- Lemberger Sites Remediation Group v. A.M. Richter et al., Eastern District of Wisconsin (CERCLA site cost allocation).
- Employers Insurance of Wausau v. Newell Co., Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (insurance recovery at CERCLA site).
- Ansul Inc et al v. Employers Insurance Company of Wausau, Marinette County, Wisconsin (insurance recovery at industrial site).
- Morris Material Handling, Inc., v. KCI Konecranes PLC, Eastern District of Wisconsin (false advertising claims).
- Conley Publishing Group v. Journal Communications, Inc., Wisconsin Supreme Court (antitrust litigation).
- Schnapp v. McBride, Eastern District of Louisiana (defamation).
- Schultz v. Sykes, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin and appeals (defamation).
- Comcast Sportsnet v. Major League Baseball, et al., Maryland Court of Appeals (media rights issues).
- RealNetworks v. MLB Advanced Media, Western District of Washington (media rights issues).
- Appleton Papers Inc. v. Advanced Barrier Extrusions, Outagamie County, Wisconsin (non-competition agreement).
Mr. Bargren has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system and has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2011 in the fields of commercial litigation, advertising law and litigation - environmental.
Mr. Bargren holds an undergraduate degree in communications (journalism emphasis) from the University of Illinois and received his J.D. degree, magna cum laude, in 1994 from the University of Wisconsin - Madison. He was a member of the University of Wisconsin Law Review and author of the 1994 Review article, "Joint and Several Liability."
Before attending law school, Mr. Bargren worked for 19 years as a journalist at the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette in Illinois and at the Waukesha Freeman and The Milwaukee Journal in Wisconsin.