Alexandra (Allie) Bouza, PhD is a Patent Agent in the Intellectual Property Department with Foley & Lardner LLP. Allie is based in the firm’s San Diego office where she is a member of the Chemical, Biotech & Pharmaceutical Practice Group. Prior to working at Foley, Allie worked as a Patent Agent for another law firm.
Allie incorporates her robust research experience to assist clients in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and in freedom-to-operate and landscape analyses. During her PhD, Allie studied the role of voltage-gated ion channels in pediatric epileptic encephalopathies and cardiac arrhythmias using a diverse range of cell and molecular biology technologies, including protein biochemistry, genetics, and imaging. Prior to graduate school, Allie studied non-beta lactam antimicrobials and the structural biology of enzyme-drug complexes using crystallography.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein Predoctoral Fellow, National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute
- Recipient, Excellence in Research & Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, University of Michigan (2019)
- Recipient, Excellence in Basic Science Award, University of Michigan (2019)
- Recipient, Susan Lipschutz Award, University of Michigan (2019)
- Bouza A.A., Edokobi N., Pinsky A., Offord J., Piao L., Zhao Y., Lopatin A., Lopez-Santiago L.F., and Isom L.L. “Sodium channel β1 subunits participate in regulated intramembrane proteolysis-excitation coupling.” JCI Insights. 2021 Feb 8;6(3):141776. PMID: 33411695. Hull J.M., O’Malley H.A., Chen C., Yuan Y., Denomme N., (February 2021)
- Bouza AA, Philippe JM, Edokobi N, Pinsky AM, Offord J, Calhoun JD, Lopez-Florán M, Lopez-Santiago LF, Jenkins PM, Isom LL. “Sodium channel β1 subunits are post-translationally modified by tyrosine phosphorylation, S-palmitoylation, and regulated intramembrane proteolysis.” J Biol Chem. 2020 Jul 24;295(30):10380-10393. PMID: 32503841. Aeby A., Sculier C., (July 2020)
- University of Michigan (Ph.D., 2020)
- Grand Valley State University (B.S., 2015)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office