Jeffrey "Jeff" Buak is of counsel with nearly 30 years of experience in real estate and commercial transactions, as well as substantial experience in local government representation. Jeff's successful career is evidenced by his frontline positions in both local and national law firms. He actively manages his clients’ expectations by working to keep the client's informed and up to date on their matter.
Jeff is a member of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group and his practice is focused on real estate transactions, with an emphasis in land use and zoning. He describes his practice as primarily "horizontal development," which would include site location, contract negotiation, due diligence, acquisition, and entitlements. Although horizontal development is his primary cornerstone, he also has exceptional experience in vertical development as well.
Prior to joining Foley and Lardner LLP, Jeff was a partner in five prominent firms in Florida and served as a city attorney to four different cities in Florida and represented several special and redevelopment districts.
Real Estate Development
- Counseled property owners, tenants, developers, and investors in a variety of real estate and transactional projects ranging from single buildings to developments of regional impact. His representation includes buying, selling, leasing, and converting residential and commercial property
Real Estate Finance
- Handling workouts, bankruptcy and foreclosure proceedings, and restructuring of troubled projects
- Provided advice, representation, and counsel to private and public sector clients in the areas of land use and zoning, eminent domain, construction, and economic development incentive programs
- Counseling developers, builders, contractors, construction managers, project owners and investors, and other industry participants with contracts and other construction-related matters
Land Use and Zoning
- Advised companies on land use and zoning and regularly appears before local, state, and federal agencies
Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Represented property owners, business owners, lessees, and mortgagees in eminent domain and condemnation proceedings, as well as with inverse condemnation proceedings
Title Insurance/Authorized Title Agent
- Issuing owners’ and mortgagees’ title insurance policies for both residential and commercial transactions, while acting as agent for major national title insurance companies
Condominium and Homeowner Associations
- Represented condominium and homeowner associations as well as their directors and officers in matters arising out of alleged violations of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and any and all other types of allegations arising from this area of law
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Foley.
- St. Thomas University School of Law, (J.D., 1993)
- University of Central Florida, (B.A., 1989)
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell
- Member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Member of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
- Member of the Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA)
- Member of the Greater Orlando Builders Association (GOBA)
- President, general counsel, LGBT+ Center Orlando, Inc
- Certified, real estate law, The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education