Jeffrey (Jeff) Buak is of counsel and a business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses on real property transactions, property rights, land use and zoning, real estate development and financing, workouts and bankruptcies, construction, eminent domain and condemnation, and real estate title insurance. Jeff is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice.
Jeff brings over 25 years of broad experience in commercial and real estate transactions, as well as representation of local governments, with a successful career characterized by frontline positions in local and national law firms and government. His real estate practice includes the representation of real estate developers nationwide. He has handled large transactions and alternative financing agreements, including off-balance sheet purchases and land-banking arrangements. He also has a proven track record of effectively representing governmental entities and the needs of major commercial entities and land developers.
Prior to joining Foley, Jeff was a partner at five prominent firms in Florida. Early in his legal career, he served as an assistant city attorney for the Cities of Fort Myers, Cocoa, Cape Canaveral, and Winter Springs and as general counsel to a privately held company operating sub-prime auto finance and hotel acquisition and operations divisions.
Real Estate Development
- Counseled property owners, tenants, developers, and investors in a variety of real estate and transactional projects ranging from single buildings to developments of regional impact. His representation includes buying, selling, leasing, and converting residential and commercial property
Real Estate Finance
- Handling workouts, bankruptcy and foreclosure proceedings, and restructuring of troubled projects
- Provided advice, representation, and counsel to private and public sector clients in the areas of land use and zoning, eminent domain, construction, and economic development incentive programs
- Counseling developers, builders, contractors, construction managers, project owners and investors, and other industry participants with contracts and other construction-related matters
Land Use and Zoning
- Advised companies on land use and zoning and regularly appears before local, state, and federal agencies
Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Represented property owners, business owners, lessees, and mortgagees in eminent domain and condemnation proceedings, as well as with inverse condemnation proceedings
Title Insurance/Authorized Title Agent
- Issuing owners’ and mortgagees’ title insurance policies for both residential and commercial transactions, while acting as agent for major national title insurance companies
Condominium and Homeowner Associations
- Represented condominium and homeowner associations as well as their directors and officers in matters arising out of alleged violations of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and any and all other types of allegations arising from this area of law
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Foley.
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell
St. Thomas University School of Law, (J.D., 1993)
- University of Central Florida, (B.A., 1989)
- Certified, real estate law, The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- President, general counsel, LGBT+ Center Orlando, Inc
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Member, National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
- Member, Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA)
- Member, Greater Orlando Builders Association (GOBA)