Foley has offices throughout California, and has long had a presence in Sacramento, where we represent clients on California regulatory matters and public policy issues. Foley's bipartisan public policy team has a proven track record of helping clients achieve their policy and political priorities at the federal, state, and local levels, with extensive experience in California advocating on behalf of clients involved in various aspects of government.
Protecting your needs and interests in the public arena is demanding, requiring focused discipline and strategic counsel. Our California Public Policy Team brings diverse experience and deep knowledge as well as responsive and creative business solutions.
In California, Foley has aligned with Lang, Hansen, O’Malley and Miller (Lang Hansen), a highly regarded government affairs firm located in Sacramento. Our alliance with Lang Hansen, which specializes in the development and implementation of comprehensive legislative and governmental affairs strategic plans, enhances Foley’s public policy services for your needs in California. Through the Foley & Lardner, LLP and Lang Hansen alliance, we can help your clients with:
- Legislative monitoring and intelligence on California issues affecting a broad range of industries and business interests
- Increased guidance through the California legislative and regulatory processes
- Customized briefings and consultations on political and legislative issues, including detailed assessments of state elections and state budget issues
- Legal representation that can be closely coordinated with supportive public affairs efforts
- Coordinated federal, California, and multi-state public affairs representation, as Foley has public affairs practices in the Midwest, Texas, Massachusetts, and Florida, in addition to Washington, D.C. and Sacramento
A Few of Foley's California Public Policy Successes
- Led passage of one of the first bills in the last 10 years to relax environmental regulations on water resources through the legislature
- Succeeded in obtaining acceptance for new drinking water treatment technology through the state water board
- Advised client through successful state regulatory board hearing and assisted litigation team in first ever defeat of the State Water Resource Control Board’s prosecution team
- Spearheaded authorization, permitting, and initial funding for the University of California, Merced
- Then-Assemblyman Cardoza was one of the chief legislative proponents of re-accreditation of University of California Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
- Increased client visibility with key caucuses and committees