Thomas Leonard is a litigation associate at Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
Thomas represents clients in all aspects of commercial litigation matters, and he provides pragmatic and strategic advice to a broad range of clients, including commercial landlords and tenants, ranching businesses, energy companies, hospitality companies, manufacturers, and hospitals. Clients turn to Thomas for his exceptional ability to identify efficient solutions and his skill in developing and managing resolution strategies.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Thomas served for nearly six years as an active-duty U.S. Marine Corps officer, which included a deployment to Afghanistan. Thomas left active duty as a captain to attend law school and was subsequently promoted to major in the reserves. Before his military service, Thomas was a four-year student-athlete at Colgate University, where he served as captain of the men’s varsity rowing team for two years. Because of his education and real-world experience, Thomas understands that preparation, teamwork, strategy, and organization are critical to litigation success.
- Represented ranch partnership in membership dispute, securing a favorable settlement.
- Second-chaired mediation on behalf of a ranch partnership in dispute with an electric utility company, securing a favorable high-six-figure settlement.
- First-chaired trial in a life insurance lawsuit, obtaining a six-figure judgment on behalf of the client.
- Represented landlords and tenants in numerous lease, insurance, and construction-defect disputes, counseling clients from initial investigation and pre-suit negotiations through summary judgment.
- Represented the minority owner of a midstream company in dispute with the majority owner, obtaining a favorable eight-figure settlement before trial.
- Represented a midstream company in dispute with a minority investor, obtaining pre-trial dismissal of all claims.
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Dallas Bar Association