In the last 18 months, the center of gravity in U.S. patent litigation has shifted away from district courts in favor of the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). With over 1,000 post-grant petitions filed, the PTAB is now one of the most active venues for litigating patent disputes, offering a faster and cost-effective option for a challenger to invalidate a patent. Foley's post-grant trials practitioners have successfully handled some of the very first trials before the PTAB, giving them first-hand knowledge of the most effective strategies for both petitioners and patent owners alike.
Join us for the next program in our IP in the Reform Era 2014 seminar series to discuss U.S. Inter Partes Review (IPR) practice and procedure, including:
- Drafting and responding to an IPR petition: Advice for preparing a successful petition and accompanying evidence
- Motions to amend the claims: Strategies for when and how to amend claims in an IPR, and the heavy burden placed on the Patent Owner
- What to expect at the oral hearing – differences between the PTAB and other tribunals
- Managing parallel patent litigation and IPRs: avoiding pitfalls and leveraging assets
- George E. Quillin, Chair, Patent Office Trials Practice; Partner, IP Litigation and Appellate Practices
- Andrew S. Baluch, Vice-Chair, Patent Office Trials Practice
- Stephen B. Maebius, Partner and former Chair, Intellectual Property Department
- George C. Beck, Partner, Electronics Practice
- Howard N. Shipley, Partner, Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies, IP Litigation, and Patent Office Trials Practices
- Michael R. Houston, Senior Counsel, IP Litigation, Chemical, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical, and Patent Office Trials Practices
There is no cost to participate in this program, but pre-registration is required. Register for this event.
For additional information, please contact Delia Dai at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foley & Lardner LLP will apply for CLE credit after the program, wherever applicable. Foley & Lardner LLP certifies that this activity has been approved for California MCLE credits by the State Bar of California in the amount of 3 General credits. Foley & Lardner LLP is a State Bar of California MCLE approved provider. Please note that participants must be in attendance on the date of the event; credit may not be obtained by viewing and/or listening to a program recording after the event.