Robert Slovak serves as Foley's National Litigation Vice-Chair. He has over 20 years of experience in commercial trial practice. Focusing on high-stakes “business divorces,” nationally and across a wide variety of industries, clients appreciate Rob’s strategic advocacy and ability to come up with creative solutions to legal matters. Rob's experience includes contract disputes; fiduciary duty claims; post-acquisition and working capital disputes; trade secrets, oil and gas disputes; business fraud and business tort claims; actions involving trademark and copyright; commercial construction disputes; insurance coverage disputes, fraudulent transfer actions, products liability, and environmental disputes.
In addition to trying cases, Rob serves as outside general counsel for clients in the construction, manufacturing and financial services industries. His team assists with clients’ contracts, acquisitions, and human resources needs and identifies, manages, and reduces business risks.
With a strong financial background, Rob is adept at designing alternative fee structures to align with a client’s business and litigation goals. For example, he and the banking team represent companies with large portfolios of commercial loans under a unique fee arrangement that allows the team to anticipate portfolio problems before they occur and actively manage issues. Clients rely on Rob to provide as much consistency and predictability as possible.
Clients offer the following about Rob:
"Rob is an exceptional litigator with keen business acumen who represents his clients’ interests with the highest integrity and honesty. He is our go-to professional for creative, cost-effective, and ultimately successful outcomes to pending or potential business disputes.”
-Eric Adamson, Assistant General Counsel, The Fresh Market
“Rob Slovak is a creative, tactical and strategic trial lawyer, who is at his best when the odds have been stacked against his client. His dogged tenacity, preparedness, wisdom and street smarts consistently translate to client confidence in and out of the courtroom. He is a valued advisor and advocate on the most sensitive matters and critical cases.”
-Michael Bolton, General Counsel, GFC Capital
“Rob is a talented and results oriented attorney that provides high quality work – while at the same time using his candid and direct approach to accomplish our objectives in an efficient manner.”
-Jonathan Hawkins, Former General Counsel, KidKraft
Rob's trial work spans Texas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Nevada, New York, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. Rob’s clients have included:
- Austin Commercial Construction L.P.
- Doka USA
- Double Diamond Companies
- Ennis Paint
- The Fresh Market
- GFC Capital Corporation
- JAH Realty L.P.
- Lennar Corp.
- North Texas Tollway Authority
- Rialto Capital Management LLC
Rob's consistent success is exemplified by the following representative matters:
- Obtained injunction and, later, a full defense verdict finding against former President’s claim to control rights in multibillion- dollar oil & gas business divorce, “zeroing out” claims for over $800 million in damages.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar jury verdict against co-packers and suppliers of chicken products.
- Obtained arbitration award declaring commercial lease termination was proper and a full defense verdict against counterclaims for several million dollars in unpaid rent, recovering substantially all attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained a full defense verdict in favor of buyer “zeroing out” seller’s claims for in excess of $7M based on an alleged breach of stock purchase agreement.
- Defended publisher of literacy program in multimillion-dollar copyright infringement and trade secret arbitration. Following two-week arbitration, case settled on favorable terms.
- Defended claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and other business torts in dispute between multi-level marketing competitors. After Foley overturned TRO by mandamus in appellate court, case favorably settled.
- Defended four separate lawsuits filed by multi-level marketing company against former independent contractor alleging unfair competition and other business tort claims.
- Represented seller in post-acquisition dispute over earn out, resulting in favorable settlement of over $4 million.
- Obtained full summary judgment on all claims in defense of theft of trade secrets and tortious interference claims.
- Prosecuted breach of fiduciary duty and minority shareholder oppression claims for medical practice shareholder. Obtained TRO and agreed injunction that led to prompt and favorable settlement.
- Represented national commercial contractor in multimillion-dollar dispute against government contractor-operator of Los Alamos National Laboratories. Negotiated favorable settlement of approximately $30 million on eve of trial.
- Represented alcohol distributor in dispute over licensing rights; after obtaining an injunction under the Texas Beer Distributor Act, licensing rights were sold to third party for multiple million dollars.
- Defend registered investment advisor in seven separate arbitrations and/or lawsuits against claims for securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duties and other claims of failure to supervise independent advisors.
- Obtained partial dismissal of claims under Texas Citizens Participation Act.
- Jack J. Grynberg, et al. v. Miriam Z. Grynberg, et al.; No. 05-16-00636-CV (Court of Appeals, Fifth District of Texas at Dallas)
- Richardson Communications & Consulting, Inc. v. James H. McNeese; No. 05-17-00969-CV (Court of Appeals, Fifth District of Texas at Dallas)
- Richard Goldberg, et. al. v EMR (USA Holdings), et. al., No. 05-18-00261-CV (Court of Appeals, Fifth District of Texas at Dallas)
- In re Geomet Recycling LLC, et al., No. 18-0443 (Supreme Court of Texas)
- Member, BBA Advisory Board, The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business (2019-present)
- Board Member, Dallas Theater Center (2016-Present)
- Board Member, Reading & Radio Resource (2008-2015)
- Secretary (2013-2015)
- President (2010-2012)
- Board Member, Operation Kindness (2010-2016)
- President (2014-2016)
- Vice President (2012-2014)
- Graduate, Dallas Regional Chamber®, Leadership Dallas (2011)
- Graduate, DAYL Leadership Program (2000)
- Member, Texas Longhorn Foundation and Dallas Texas Exes
- Volunteer, Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
- Volunteer, Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity
- National Litigation Vice Chair (2018-present)
- Dallas Litigation Chair (2017-2018)
- Dallas Hiring Partner (2015-2018)
- Attorneys’ Committee Co-Chair (2014-2016)
- Income Partner Nominating Committee Chair (2014-2015)
- Alumni Committee (2013-2018)
- Finance Committee (2017-2018)
- Recognized, Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Super Lawyers Magazine
- General Litigation (2005, 2009-2013)
- Recognized, 2010 Dallas Furniture Bank's 40 Under 40 (for outstanding service to the community)
- Former Guest Prosecutor, Dallas City Attorney's Office
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1999)
- Legal Intern, Justice David Wilson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st District of Texas (1997)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A, Finance, 1996)
- University College London - Law School, Semester Abroad (1998)
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit