Roger Strode is a partner and health care M&A lawyer in Foley & Lardner’s Chicago Office where his practice focuses on health care mergers, acquisitions, corporate restructurings and joint ventures, as well as governance and health care regulation. Roger is a member of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team.
Hospital and Health System Transactions
Roger regularly represents hospitals, health and integrated delivery systems in all manner of transactions and relationships.
Health Care Private Equity Transactions
Roger regularly represents both buyers and sellers in a variety of health care private equity transactions, including physician recapitalization transactions.
- Represented Spectrum Dermatology, Scottsdale, Arizona, in connection with its recapitalization by Pinnacle Dermatology
- Represented Troy Gastroenterology, a large GI platform company, suburban Detroit, Michigan, in its recapitalization by HIG Growth Capital
- Represented Advanced Ear Nose and Throat d/b/a ADVENT, a large ENT platform company based in the Midwest specializing in patients with sinus and sleep apnea problems, in a recapitalization transaction with Excellere Partners
- Represented Maxim Healthcare Services, an Allegis Company, in the sale of Maxim Home Healthcare to Aveanna Healthcare, a Bain Capital Private Equity portfolio company
- Represented InSight Telepsychiatry, suburban Philadelphia in connection with the recapitalization of InSight by Harbour Point Capital
- Represented Northeast Dermatology Associates, a large platform practice in Andover, Massachusetts and parts of New Hampshire and Maine, in connection with the recapitalization of NEDA by Ontario Teachers Pension Plan and Century Equity Partners
- Represented South Shore Dermatology in connection with the recapitalization of SSD by Phynet
- Represented The Dermatology Group, a large platform practice located in Orange New Jersey, in a recapitalization transaction with Riverside Companies
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its recapitalization of Gulf Coast Dermatology
Outpatient and Ancillary Services Transactions
Roger’s health care M&A experience includes the representation of providers, investors and managers in transactions involving ASCs, imaging centers, physical therapy, pain management and behavioral health.
- Represented Neuterra Healthcare n/k/a NeuHealth in the development or acquisition of ambulatory surgery centers and physician owed hospitals in Indiana, Texas, Louisiana, Montana, Oklahoma and Arkansas
- Represented HealthSouth in the reorganization, sale and acquisition of ambulatory surgery centers in the states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, California and Florida
- Represented Jupiter Medical Center, Jupiter Florida, in the restructuring of Jupiter Outpatient Surgery Center
- Regularly represented Alliance Healthcare Services in imaging, cancer and pain management transactions
- Represented Centers for Diagnostic Imaging in various transactions and regulatory matters
- Represented Centers for Diagnostic Imaging in a series of outpatient imaging joint venture transactions between CDI, Methodist Hospitals of Dallas and a large group of radiologists
- Represented Centers for Diagnostic Imaging in a series of outpatient imaging joint venture transactions between CDI, Community Health Systems and a large group of radiologists
- Represent vybe Urgent Care in transactions and regulatory matters
- Acting as lead counsel to several large multi-specialty and single-specialty medical groups in sales of their practices and ancillary businesses, to hospitals and health care systems
- Represented a large California-based health care system and its private equity sponsor in the acquisition of a series of physician-owned ambulatory surgery centers and affiliated management companies
- Represented Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation in the restructuring of its physician practice
- Represents a large (100+) group of orthopedic surgeons in a series of joint venture transactions with Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York
Roger lectures frequently on health law and corporate issues and he co-authored, "How to Manage Personal Finances,” a chapter published in The Academic Medicine Handbook (2013 and 2018).
- Recognized in Chambers USA for Healthcare (2017 - 2021)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Health Care Law (2007-2022)
- Named a Leading Lawyer by The Ambulatory M&A Advisor on the Top Healthcare Transaction Lawyers list
- Named one of the country’s 15 "Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyers" by Nightingale's Healthcare News
- Marquette Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1988)
- Illinois State University (B.S., 1984)
- Successfully passed the Illinois CPA Examination (1984)
- Member, Illinois Bar Association (Health Law and Corporate Law Sections)
* The Illinois Supreme Court does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.