Roger Strode is a partner and health care business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP where his practice focuses on health care business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and joint ventures, general corporate matters and health care regulation. His experience includes the representation of institutional health care providers (hospitals, health systems and integrated delivery systems), large physician groups, specialty providers (ASC development organizations), health care private equity firms and industry consultants. Roger is a member of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team.
Roger has participated as lead counsel in numerous health care and corporate transactions, including the purchase and sale, or transfer of sponsorship of hospitals, health systems, physician practices, and health maintenance organizations; the formation of specialty hospitals; and the formation of ancillary services joint ventures.
- Represented Piedmont Healthcare and Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center in the purchase of a majority interest in Surgery Center of Athens, an ambulatory surgery center joint venture between Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center and a large group of local physicians
- Representing Maxim Healthcare Services, an Allegis Company, in the sale of Maxim Home Healthcare to Aveanna Healthcare, a Bain Capital Private Equity portfolio company
- Represented Healthcare Partners Investments, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in connection with a majority investment in HPI by a joint venture company owned by United Surgical Partners and Integris Health
- Represented InSight Telepsychiatry in connection with the recapitalization of InSight by Harbour Point Capital
- Represented Northeast Dermatology Associates, a large platform practice, in connection with the recapitalization of NEDA by Ontario Teachers Pension Plan and Century Equity Partners
- Represented South Shore Dermatology in connection with the recapitalization of SSD by Phynet
- Represented The Dermatology Group, a large platform practice, in a recapitalization transaction with Riverside Companies
- Represented Indiana University Health in the formation of a joint ventured de novo health system in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Represented HonorHealth in the acquisition of the medical oncology and hematology practice of Arizona Center for Cancer Care
- Represented Indiana University Health in the sale of Indiana University Health La Porte and Stark Hospitals to a joint venture company owned by Indiana University Health and Community Health Systems
- Represented Edward Health Services Corporation, the parent of Edward Hospital and Linden Oaks Hospital, Naperville, Illinois, in its merger with Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, the parent of Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, Elmhurst, Illinois
- Represented Scottsdale Healthcare, the parent of Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, Scottsdale Healthcare Shea Medical Center and Scottsdale Healthcare Peak Medical Center in its merger with John C. Lincoln Health Network, the parent of Deer Valley and North Mountain Hospitals in the formation of Honor Health
- Represented, as co-counsel, Trinity Health in its affiliation with Catholic Health East that resulted in the creation of one of the largest health systems in the country with over $19 billion of revenue
- Represented Community Health Systems in the purchase of a multi-hospital system in a Chapter 363 transaction in federal bankruptcy court valued in excess of $150,000,000
- Acting as lead counsel to a publicly-traded enterprise engaged in the development, ownership, and operation of ambulatory surgery centers, surgical and rehabilitation hospitals and outpatient rehabilitation centers
- Acting as lead counsel in the formation of a clinically-integrated managed care contracting network formed by a large community hospital and a large (300+) multi-specialty medical group
- Acting as lead transactional counsel to a number of the national ambulatory surgery center and specialty hospital companies
- Acting as lead health care regulatory counsel to a number of health care private equity firms
- Acting as lead counsel to several large multi-specialty and single-specialty medical groups in sales of their practices, and ancillary businesses, to hospitals and health care systems
- Acting as lead transaction counsel to a multi-hospital health care system in the development of various physician joint venture transactions, including joint venture ambulatory surgery centers, co-management arrangements, outpatient imaging facilities, and cardiac diagnostic centers
- Acting as lead counsel in the formation of more than 20 joint ventured specialty hospitals
- Acting as lead counsel in the formation of several integrated delivery systems, including one comprised of three hospitals, a 200+ physician clinic and an 80,000 member health plan
- Acting as co-lead counsel in the sale of Catholic-sponsored health system in a transaction valued in excess of $135,000,000
- Represented a middle market private equity fund in the acquisition of a large dermatology practice in the Southeastern United States
- Represented a large California-based health care system and its private equity sponsor in the acquisition of a series of physician-owned ambulatory surgery centers and affiliated management companies
- Represented Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation in the restructuring of its physician practice
- Represented Centers for Diagnostic Imaging in a series of outpatient imaging joint venture transactions between CDI, Methodist Hospitals of Dallas and a large group of radiologists
- Represented Centers for Diagnostic Imaging in a series of outpatient imaging joint venture transactions between CDI, Community Health Systems and a large group of radiologists
- Represented National Surgical Hospitals in the acquisition of Optim Health, a physician owned hospital system in Savannah, Georgia
- Represents a large (100+) group of orthopedic surgeons in a series of joint venture transactions with a large non-profit hospital located in New York, New York
- Regularly represents a publicly traded health care enterprise in its acquisition of pain management physician practices
- Regularly represents large, private equity-backed imaging company in the acquisition of radiology practices and other imaging businesses
- Represents institutional health care providers (hospitals, health systems, and integrated delivery systems), large physician groups, specialty providers (ASC development organizations), health care private equity firms and industry consultants
- Participated as lead counsel in numerous health care and corporate transactions, including the purchase and sale, or transfer of sponsorship of hospitals, health systems, physician practices, and health maintenance organizations; the formation of specialty hospitals; and the formation of ancillary services joint ventures
Roger lectures frequently on health law and corporate issues, and he co-authored, "How to Manage Personal Finances,” a chapter published in The Academic Medicine Handbook (2013 and 2018).
Roger was recognized in Chambers USA for Healthcare in 2017 - 2019. He was named a Leading Lawyer by The Ambulatory M&A Advisor on the Top Healthcare Transaction Lawyers of 2014 list. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2007 (health care law) and was named one of the country’s 15 "Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyers" by Nightingale's Healthcare News in 2004 and 2005. *
Roger earned his J.D. from Marquette Law School (cum laude, 1988), and his B.S. from Illinois State University (1984).
He is admitted to practice in Illinois and is a member of the Illinois Bar Association and the American Bar Association (Health Law and Corporate Law Sections) where he served as a vice chair of the Business Transactions Group.
* The Illinois Supreme Court does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.