Partner Stephen Maebius will present on the panel titled “PTAB and EPO Opposition Proceedings: A Comparative Analysis of Claim Amendment Practice and Appeal” during the PTAB Bar Association’s Virtual Annual Meeting on Wednesday, September 23, 2020.
This panel will focus on how changes to the motion to amend practice at the PTAB may have an impact, including Aqua Products’ allocation of burdens regarding unpatentability. During this session, panelists will analyze claim amendments and preliminary opinions at PTAB and EPO opposition proceedings. Additionally, they will delve into the alternative options to a motion to amend, such as filing a reissue application as well as discuss the PTO’s best practices for filing a reissue following a PTAB trial. This session will also provide a glance at the PTAB’s preliminary guidance given in the MTA pilot program and a first look at how the new 2020 rules for EPO appeals will be implemented. Throughout the session, panelists will share their insight on how best to manage US, EP and global proceedings.
- Stephen Maebius, Partner, Foley & Lardner
- Deputy Chief Administrative Patent Judge Jacqueline Wright Bonilla, USPTO
- Bernard Mueller, Enlarged Board of Appeal of the European Patent Office
- Hans-Rainer Jaenichen, Partner, Vossius & Partners
- Paul Naik, Senior Vice President of Intellectual Property, Seattle Genetics
- Jonathan Stroud, Chief IP Counsel, Unified Patents, LLC
The PTAB Bar Association’s Virtual Annual Meeting will take place September 23rd-25th. For more information, please visit the PTAB Bar Association’s website.