Gregory (Greg) Heinen is a business litigator clients choose as the point person for defending complex lawsuits spanning across jurisdictions. He has a broad litigation background but focuses on product liability, mass torts, and toxic torts.
Greg has years of experience working as national coordinating counsel to direct strategy for many types of mass litigation matters in state and federal courts at every stage — from filing the complaint through trial and beyond, as well as serving as regional or local counsel for lawsuits in Wisconsin and neighboring states. This includes matters in multidistrict litigation (MDLs) and other coordinated proceedings involving hundreds of plaintiffs. Greg helps clients design and implement efficient, consistent, and decisive strategy, and can also execute that strategy in the courtroom using his experience from hearings and trials in various state and federal courts.
Greg’s experience includes antitrust litigation matters, environmental disputes, real estate matters, contract disputes, and potential tort issues, including PFAs (“forever chemicals” such as PFOA and PFOS), pharmaceuticals and medical devices, and asbestos. In addition to many commercial disputes, Greg has experience both conducting internal investigations and providing antitrust-related compliance counseling, including for trade associations. Greg has also represented clients in several appellate matters and has argued before the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Greg is a member of the Manufacturing Sector, its Sustainability and Product Stewardship Group, and the firm’s Product Liability Team. Greg’s clients include manufacturers and other companies across the country and international companies, including companies based in Japan.
- National counsel for a pharmaceutical wholesale distributor in nationwide litigation relating to the distribution of prescription opioid medications, including more than 1,000 cases brought by states, cities, counties, tribes, and private parties seeking recovery in connection with the opioid abuse crisis.
- National coordinating counsel, regional counsel, and local counsel for various product manufacturers in asbestos litigation cases in state courts across the country.
- National counsel for an equipment manufacturer in product liability lawsuits in courts across the country.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (2021-2024)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® Rising Star – Commercial Litigation (2018, 2019, 2021 – 2023)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Co-chair, Civil Litigation Section
- Member, Defense Research Institute Product Liability Section
- Graduate, Thomas E. Fairchild American Inn of Court (2018)
- Board member, Parenting Network
- Past board president and member, Hope Street Ministry