Jacob (Jake) Heller is a senior counsel with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice and Energy Industry Team. Jake has serviced complex merger and acquisition matters involving clients form various industries, including energy, health care, telecommunications, and cybersecurity. He has represented both buy-side and sell-side clients in asset and stock purchase transactions.
Jake was a summer associate in Foley’s Washington D.C. office in 2014.
Prior to his legal career, Jake served for more than six years in various roles at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), including advisor to the undersecretary for the National Protection Programs Directorate, and advisor to the chief of staff of the Office of the Deputy Secretary. During his tenure at DHS, Jake was a member of the U.S. negotiation team for the United States–European Union Passenger Name Record Agreement, one of the largest big data agreements in history. He also served on the staff of the Homeland Security Advisory Council’s Task Force on CyberSkills. Jake was the Obama for America regional field director for Michigan’s 1st Congressional District during the 2008 Presidential campaign and an assistant on the Obama Presidential transition team before he joined DHS.
- Represented a major oil company in US$10.5 billion share purchase with BHP Billiton pursuant to which the oil company agreed to acquire substantially all of BHP Billiton’s onshore U.S. oil and gas properties.
- Represented multiple banks in renewable energy project finance transactions.
- Represented a renewable power company in a credit agreement financing.
- Represented Brighter, Inc. in its sale to Cigna Health Insurance.
- Represented a growth equity investor in its US$700 million cash acquisition of a U.S. health care company.
- Represented a growth equity investor in a US$50 million asset purchase.
- Represented a U.S. public company in an US$18 million asset purchase.
- Represented a U.S. public company in an auction bid stock purchase attempt to acquire.
- Represents a telecommunications company in an ongoing sell-side stock sale agreement.
- Represents a cybersecurity technology company in an ongoing sell-side stock sale agreement.
- Represents an emerging energy technology company in an ongoing sell-side stock purchase transaction.
- Represents a U.S. public health care company in a sell-side asset purchase transaction.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch, Corporate Law (2024)