Max Meckstroth is a senior counsel in the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Construction, and Antitrust & Competition Practices. He is a devoted advocate who stands ready to pursue and defend his clients’ rights at all times. As an experienced litigator, Max prides himself on working closely with clients to understand their business objectives, identify and distill complex issues, and tackle disputes in a way that minimizes business disruption and financial uncertainty.
Max’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation matters, including sophisticated contract disputes, antitrust litigation, product liability actions, professional negligence cases, real estate litigation, and all facets of construction disputes and contracting. Max also has a robust creditors’ rights practice, frequently representing lenders and servicers in high profile commercial and residential foreclosure actions, as well as other insolvency, bankruptcy, and debt collection proceedings.
Before joining Foley, Max clerked in the legal department at UnitedHealth Group’s corporate headquarters in Minnetonka, Minnesota. Max gained valuable insights into the operations of one of the country’s largest corporations and he was instilled with a unique, client-oriented perspective to the practice of law—something he incorporates as trusted outside counsel for his clients today.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Commercial Litigation (2021-2024)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – Alternative Dispute Resolution (2024)
- Forum on Construction Law, American Bar Association
- Thomas E. Fairchild American Inn of Court (2017-2021)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Board Member, City Year Milwaukee
Presentations and Publications
- “Understanding Indemnification: A Practical Approach” (Milwaukee, WI 2023)
- “Construction Contract Training” (Milwaukee, WI 2023)
- “Workouts: Traps for All Asset Classes & Unique Asset Class Concerns” (Dallas, TX 2023)
- “Don’t Let Borrowers or Guarantors Turn the Tables: Assessing and Avoiding Lender Liability Claims” (Milwaukee, WI 2021)
- Co-author, “Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin,” Introduction to Letters of Credit, Chapter 5, Pinnacle, 3d ed. (2021)
- Author, “The Case Against Self-Representation in Capital Proceedings,” 99 MINN. L. REV. 1935 (2015)