Neal Moglin is an experienced litigator who regularly represents ceding companies and reinsurers in arbitrations involving life/accident and health, and property/casualty contracts. He has also represented insurers and reinsurers in federal and state courts in New York, Illinois, Texas, Florida, and other jurisdictions. He is chair of the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation Practice and a member of the Insurance & Reinsurance Industry Team.
Neal’s representative cases have involved disputes over efforts by life reinsurers to change the negotiated rates for Yearly Renewable Term contracts; energy and construction reinsurance contracts; aviation bodily injury carve out and workers’ compensation carve out contracts; fronting and pool liability issues; MGA and pool manager disputes; environmental and asbestos losses; medical stop loss contracts; spiral claims; World Trade Center losses; finite reinsurance, and disputes involving traditional and non-traditional life reinsurance products.
Additionally, Neal regularly advises clients on regulatory compliance and risk management issues and assists them in the development of new products and the acquisition and disposition of books of business.
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Insurance Law (2020 – 2023)
- Leading LawyersSM magazine – Leading Lawyer, Illinois (2020)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2008 – present)
- Legal 500 US – Leading Lawyer/ Insurance and Reinsurance Hall of Fame (2008 – present)
- Euromoney Institutional Investor’s Insurance and Reinsurance Expert Guide – Leading Lawyer
- Who’s Who: Legal Insurance & Reinsurance (2008 – present)
- Finance Monthly’s Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyer of the Year – USA (2019)
- Illinois Super Lawyers® list for his reinsurance litigation work (2005, 2009)*
- Member of the Illinois Bar
- Member of the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Former co-chair of the Mealeys Reinsurance Summit (2005 – 2007)
- Former co-chair of the Annual Insurance Insolvency & Reinsurance Roundtable (2008 – 2010)
Presentations and Publications
- Spoken at a variety of other industry meetings and events, including the 2009 ARIAS Fall Conference, the 2019 ARIAS Fall Conference, and the 2023 ARIAS Spring Conference
- “And Now for Something Completely different: What your English Colleagues Already Know about Mediating Reinsurance Disputes,” (ARIAS Quarterly, 2007)
- “Achieving Certainty in an International Marketplace,” (Journal of Reinsurance, 2007).