Nicole (Nikki) Paterson is an associate and real estate lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. As a member of Foley’s Real Estate Practice, Nikki represents real estate developers, investors, owners, and tenants in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions and sales, development, financing, and leasing. She also counsels clients in connection with the real estate aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions and has experience in multistate real estate portfolio transactions.
As a member of Foley’s Energy Sector, Nikki also has experience providing real estate support for the acquisition, development, construction, and financing of wind, solar, and other energy projects, including negotiating site control documents; addressing title, survey, and other development and permitting matters; and performing real estate due diligence.
Prior to joining Foley, Nikki worked as a Certified Public Accountant at PwC in the tax group.
During law school, Nikki was a student associate in the Marquette Law and Entrepreneurship Clinic, where she assisted start-up companies with various legal issues, including entity selection, business formation, and seed funding. Additionally, she served as a legal volunteer at Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, and was inducted into the Pro Bono Honor Society.
- Represented a local nonprofit corporation in drafting and negotiating several leases in a multi-tenant commercial property
- Represented a local investor in the acquisition, due diligence, and closing logistics of an industrial property in Wisconsin
- Represented high net-worth individuals in their acquisition and disposition of vacation rental properties, including 1031 like-kind exchanges, entity reorganization, and real estate aspects of the transactions
- Represented an Australian investment fund in real estate aspects of its investment in a multistate portfolio of solar energy projects
- Represented a major U.S. financial institution on real estate diligence and related work in its tax equity investment in several renewable projects, including a 300 MW solar energy and 150 MW battery energy storage system project in California; a 300 MW solar energy project in Utah; a 100 MW solar energy and 50 MW battery energy storage system project in California; and a 57 MW in a repowered wind energy project in California
- Represented a major European renewable energy company in project development and financing of a 198 MW wind energy project in Texas
- Represented a major European renewable energy company in the development and financing of a 125 MW wind energy project in New York
- Represented an investment fund in the title, survey, organizational documents, and closing documents in connection with its purchase, finance, and sale, of over $200 million in single-tenant assets across the country
- Facilitated a complex simultaneous 1031 like-kind exchange of numerous properties among multiple taxpayers
- Wisconsin State Bar (Business and Real Estate Divisions)
- Wisconsin Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic