Josh Roling is a senior counsel and real estate lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Josh represents real estate developers, investors, owners and tenants in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions and sales, leasing, construction and permanent financing, New Market Tax Credits, private placements and zoning. He also counsels clients in connection with the real estate aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions and has significant experience in multistate real estate portfolio transactions.
In addition to his traditional real estate practice, Josh has experience working on the acquisition, development, construction and financing of wind, solar, hydro, biomass, and district energy projects, including negotiating site control documents; addressing title, survey and other development matters; and performing real estate due diligence for tax equity investments.
Josh is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice as well as the firm’s Energy Industry Team and Sports Industry Team.
- Represented BM Eagle Holdings, LLC, on real estate matters in connection with a $700 million acquisition of a skilled nursing facility portfolio consisting of more than 90 facilities in 18 states.
- Represented Mandel Group, Inc., on a $7,700,000 New Market Tax Credit (NMTC) financing for the development of a medical office building in southeastern Wisconsin.
- Represented real estate joint-venture on site development of 123-acre mixed-use development near King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, including work on a Declaration of Restrictions and various utility easements and agreements. Represented the joint venture in negotiation of purchase agreements and closings of sales to third-party developers for more than $42 million.
- Represented developer on a $8,075,000 construction loan for a medical office building in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented regional multifamily developer on acquisition, development and re-financing of a 188-unit apartment development in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
- Represented the real estate affiliate of an NBA franchise on a 16-year lease of a 37,500 sq.ft. medical office building to a major regional medical system.
- Represented international agribusiness client on real estate matters related to an $11,000,000 acquisition of an Hawaiian seed development company.
- Represented manufacturing client on sale leaseback of 145,000 sq.ft. manufacturing facility in Illinois for a purchase price of $6,000,000.
- Represented Danish-based manufacturing client on purchase of 45,000 sq.ft. manufacturing and warehouse facility in Illinois for approximately $2,000,000.
- Represented landlord in negotiation of lease for a 167,200 sq.ft. office and warehouse facility in Racine, Wisconsin, to a national food service and janitorial supplies distributor.
- Represented national dialysis clinic in renewal of special use zoning permit for 9,000 sq.ft facility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented investor-owned utility holding company on real estate aspects of a sale of a 49% interest in a portfolio of operating wind and solar energy projects for $400 million dollars. The portfolio consisted of approximately 1,300 MW across 30 projects in 13 states.
- Represented a major U.S. renewable energy company in the purchase and development of two wind energy projects in Maryland totaling 70 MW.
- Represented European energy company on real estate aspects in connection with a $600 million acquisition of a tri-generation power plant and district energy system.
- Represented the seller of a hydroelectric facility associated with a paper mill in Wisconsin, including legal separation of hydroelectric assets from paper mill assets.
- Represented a major U.S. financial institution on real estate diligence and related work in connection with its tax equity investments in over 150 MW of ground-mounted solar energy projects in California, North Carolina, Massachusetts and Idaho.
- Represented real estate developer in negotiation of two 20-year rooftop solar leases with a regional electric utility.
Josh received his law degree from Duke University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012), where he ranked in the top 5% of his class and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He was also an executive editor of Duke Law Journal.
A native of Clinton, IA, Mr. Roling received his bachelor’s degree from Marquette University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2009), where he was the president of Triangle Fraternity.
Josh is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.