Danielle Whitley is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Her practice focuses in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, finance and general corporate law. Danielle has participated in many complex domestic and cross-border purchase and sale transactions representing both buyers and sellers in various industries. Representative transactions include stock sales, asset sales, mergers and internal reorganizations. She is a member of the firm’s Finance & Financial Institutions and Transactional & Securities Practices.
In addition, Danielle routinely represents lenders and borrowers in finance transactions. Her transactional experience includes secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset-based lending and acquisition finance.
Since 2005, Danielle has served as general counsel to The Donna Foundation, an organization dedicated to assisting underserved women living with breast cancer in Northeast Florida. In addition, she has also served as general counsel to 26.2 with Donna The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer, Inc., an organization which hosts the only U.S. marathon dedicated solely to raising funds to end breast cancer.
Danielle has been recognized as one of the top 2009 Up & Coming Attorneys in Florida Trend magazine’s Florida Legal Elite™ balloting.
Danielle received her law degree (J.D., with honors, 2000) from the University of Florida College of Law. She also received her bachelor's degree (B.S., with honors, 1996) and master's degree (M.Acc., 2000) in accounting from the University of Florida.
Danielle is a licensed certified public accountant and a member of The Florida Bar.
- “Common Misconceptions Regarding Preferred Stock Create Risk of Costly Mistakes,” Global Banking and Finance, April 25, 2019
- “Delaware Court Rules for the First Time That Buyer May Walk From Deal for Material Adverse Effect,” Global Banking and Finance, October 24, 2018
- Co-author, “Buy-side Directors Face Risk in Conflict Deals,” The M&A Journal, October 2018
- Co-author, “Common Misconceptions Regarding Preferred Stock Create Risk of Costly Mistakes,” Global Banking & Finance Review, July 27, 2018
- "Beware! Delaware Case Law Sets Potential Pitfall in Merger Pact Indemnification Caps," Westlaw Journal/Thomson Reuters, July 31, 2017
- Co-author, “Blocking Director’s Fiduciary Duty Essential for Successful Remote Entity Structure,” Delaware Corporate, February 27, 2017
- “Delaware high court restricts potential claims against bankers for flawed M&A process,” Westlaw Journal: Delaware Corporate, December 21, 2015
- “Why CEO Was Held Personally Liable for $148M in Dole Foods Buyout,” Westlaw Journal: Delaware Corporate, September 14, 2015
- “El Paso Corp. Hit With $171 million in Damages for Defective Related-party Transaction,” Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, June 1, 2015
- “Delaware High Court Applies ‘Business Judgment’ to Controlling-Stockholder Buyouts,” Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, April 7, 2014
- “3rd Circuit rules Delaware Chancery Court arbitrations must be open to the public,” Westlaw Journal: Delaware Corporate, December 9, 2013
- “Bank of America merger shields Countrywide directors from pending suits,” Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers and Directors Liability, September 23, 2013
- "Goldman Directors Win Dismissal of Challenge to Management Compensation Structure," Westlaw Journal: Delaware Corporate, October 31, 2011
- "My banker, my frenemy," The Deal magazine, May 9, 2011
- "Delaware court delays Del Monte merger over investment banker misconduct concerns," Corporate Officers & Directors Liability, Westlaw Journal/Thomson Reuters, February 28, 2011
- "Post-closing price adjustments upheld by Delaware court," Mergers & Acquisitions, Westlaw Journal/Thomson Reuters, December 2010
- "Delaware court upholds poison pill with ‘grandfather’ exemption for existing large stockholder," Delaware Corporate, Westlaw Journal/Thomson Reuters, September 3, 2010
- "Frozen Gas: CNX Gas thaws the controlling stockholder freeze-out role for special committees," The Deal magazine, July 19, 2010
- "Delaware court applies unified standard for review of all freeze-out transactions by controlling shareholders," Delaware Corporate Litigation Reporter, Westlaw/Thomson Reuters, June 14, 2010
- "New Requirements and Increased Supervision Over Economic Stimulus and Bailout Funds May Increase Potential False Claims Act Liability for Recipients," co-author, Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News Alert: Financial Crisis Response Team, April 29, 2010 and Financial Fraud Law Report, July/August 2009
- "NOL and Void: Delaware's Chancery court upholds a poison pill designed to protect net operating loss carryforwards," co-author, The Deal magazine, April 5, 2010
- "Director's Fiduciary Duties: Increasing Focus on Good Faith and Independence," The Florida Bar Journal, July/August 2009