Josh Roling is a senior counsel and real estate lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Josh represents real estate developers, investors, owners, and tenants in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions and sales, development, leasing, New Market Tax Credit financing, tax increment financing, private placements, and zoning. He also counsels clients in connection with the real estate aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions and has significant experience in multistate real estate portfolio transactions.
In addition to his traditional real estate practice, Josh has experience working on the acquisition, development, construction and financing of wind, solar, hydro, biomass, and district energy projects, including negotiating site control documents; addressing title, survey and other development matters; and performing real estate due diligence for tax equity investments.
Josh is a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) Practice Groups as well as the Energy and Sports Industry Teams.
- Represented major national infrastructure construction company on a $14,700,000 New Market Tax Credit financing in connection with the development of a large mixed-use project in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Represented paper company in Michigan on a $7,800,000 New Market Tax Credit financing for the purchase of a new paper mill equipment
- Represented private equity firm on the acquisition and $14,500,000 sale-leaseback of three food manufacturing facilities in California
- Represented a leading national developer on the acquisition, development and tax increment financing for a 2,600,000 square foot distribution center in southeastern Wisconsin
- Represented large social impact investment firm on the $52,000,000 acquisition of a 350-unit apartment complex in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Represented Mandel Group, Inc., on a $7,700,000 New Market Tax Credit financing for the development of a medical office building in southeastern Wisconsin
- Represented developer on a $15,700,000 construction loan for a restaurant and entertainment district in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Represented national movie theater circuit on the $139,000,000 acquisition of a 22 movie theaters in 9 states
- Represented BM Eagle Holdings, LLC, on real estate matters in connection with a $700 million acquisition of a skilled nursing facility portfolio consisting of more than 90 facilities in 18 states
- Represented real estate joint-venture on site development of 123-acre mixed-use development near King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, including work on a Declaration of Restrictions and various utility easements and agreements. Represented the joint venture in negotiation of purchase agreements and closings of sales to third-party developers for more than $42 million
- Represented the real estate affiliate of an NBA franchise on a 16-year lease of a 37,500 sq.ft. medical office building to a major regional medical system
- Represented international agribusiness client on real estate matters related to an $11,000,000 acquisition of an Hawaiian seed development company
- Represented leading US financial institution on $147,000,000 tax equity investment in a portfolio of 6 solar projects in New York
- Represented investor-owned utility holding company on the sale of a 49% interest in a portfolio of operating wind and solar energy projects for $400 million dollars. The portfolio consisted of approximately 1,300 MW across 30 projects in 13 states
- Represented a major U.S. renewable energy company in the purchase and development of two wind energy projects in Maryland totaling 70 MW
- Represented European energy company on real estate aspects in connection with a $600 million acquisition of a tri-generation power plant and district energy system
- Represented the seller of a hydroelectric facility associated with a paper mill in Wisconsin, including legal separation of hydroelectric assets from paper mill assets
- Represented a major U.S. financial institution on real estate diligence and related work in connection with its tax equity investments in over 150 MW of ground-mounted solar energy projects in California, North Carolina, Massachusetts and Idaho
- Represented real estate developer in negotiation of two 20-year rooftop solar leases with a regional electric utility
Josh received his law degree from Duke University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012), where he ranked in the top 5% of his class and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He was also an executive editor of Duke Law Journal.
A native of Clinton, IA, Josh received his bachelor’s degree from Marquette University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2009), where he was the president of Triangle Fraternity.
Josh is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.