André Thiollier is a partner with Foley & Lardner LLP, based in the firm’s Silicon Valley office, where he is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice.
André’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, emerging growth and venture financings, and general corporate and business counseling. He represents a variety of clients ranging from late-stage private companies and strategic buyers to venture capital and private equity funds across various industries, including life sciences, technology, financial services, healthcare and outsourcing.
André’s extensive experience in multiple jurisdictions combined with fluency in different languages allows André to better advise clients in cross border transactions, particularly in Latin America, including Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Mexico.
Prior to joining Foley, André worked as an associate at the Silicon Valley office of a global law firm. With over 15 years of experience in transnational transactions André has practiced law in top law firms in São Paulo, New York, and Madrid.
Represented numerous companies, growth equity investment firms, venture capital and corporate venturing groups in investments in technology, finance, healthcare, and other disruptive and innovative businesses, and corporate groups in advising on merger and acquisitions of a variety of businesses, assets and license in the technology and bootstrap spaces, including:
Represented Iporanga Ventures, an early-stage venture capital fund, during Stark Bank's Series-B equity financing.
Represented Agrolend, a Brazilian fintech that works with retailers to the agriculture sector to offer credit to farmers via an app, in its recent $14 million (BRL 80 million) Series A financing.
- Represented TerraMagna, a Brazilian rural credit fintech, in its $40 million debt and equity funding round led by SoftBank Latin America Fund and Shift Capital.
- Represented Clubbi, an online commerce resource for neighborhood markets and grocery stores, in their $4.5 million Series A seed round.
- Represented BeerorCoffeee, a São Paulo-based flexible office marketplace, in their $10 million Series A round led by Kaszek.
- Represented Z1, a Brazilian neobank focused on offering digital accounts and a linked prepaid card to teenagers and young adults, in its $10 million in Series A funding.
- Represented SafeSpace, a female owned platform for reporting and tracking cases of misconduct in the workplace, in BRL $11 million funding round.
- Represented Gringo, a Brazilian startup that has built an app aimed at supporting drivers in a variety of ways, in its $8 million new round of funding.
- Represented Riverwood Capital as lead investor in a $150 million (R$750 million) funding round for Petlove&Co, a São Paulo-based digital platform for products and services for the pet market.
- Represented Omie, a Brazilian management platform focused on mid-size companies, as they closed a $110M financing (BR 580M) led by Softbank, with additional investment from Riverwood, Dynamo, Velt, Bogari Capital, Hix Capital and Brasil Capital.
- Represented Nomad, the fintech that allows Brazilians to open a bank account in the United States digitally, in raising a $20 million Series A round.
- Represented Acesso Digital on its Series B financing led by SoftBank and General Atlantic.
- Represented Azion Technologies on its Series A financing lead by Qualcomm Ventures and Monashees.
- Advised Softbank in the $100 million preferred equity financing of 99 and subsequent sale to Didi Chuxing Technology.
- Represented Samsung Ventures in the Secured Convertible Note Financing of Netlist, Inc.
- Advised Green Chef on its $15.5 million Series A financing.
- Represented CareCloud on its $31.5 million Series C financing and follow-on bridge note financing.
- Advised EIS Group Ltd. on its convertible note offering led by CSAA Insurance Group.
- Advised CareCloud on a series of bridge note financings.
- Represented Neon Pagamentos on its Series A financing.
- Advised Linte on its Series A financing.
- Advised the founders of Shawee on its merger with and subsequent financing of Rocket.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Advised HCL Technologies on its $1.8 billion acquisition of a subdivision of IBM.
- Advised ThyssenKrupp in the $8.2 billion joint venture with Companhia Vale do Rio Doce.
- Advised Firebase and its founders on the sale of the company to Google.
- Represented Kerensen Consulting and its founders on the sale of the company to Salesforce.
- Advised HCL Technologies on the acquisition of Power Objects.
- Represented Binatone International Electronics Limited on the acquisition of certain assets from Motorola Mobility.
- Advised Blackhawk Networks on the acquisition of Omni Prepaid, LLC, Wolfe, LLC, Giftcards.com, LLC and Omnicard, LLC.
- Represented Trend Micro Incorporated on the sale of certain SSL certificate assets for Entrust Limited.
- Advised GenX Mobile on the sale of the company to Sierra Wireless America.
- Represented HCL America acquisition of Butler America Aerospace.
- Advised HCL America on the acquisition of Urban Fulfillment Services.
- Advised Relay Media, Inc. on its sale to Google.
- Represented Server Technology Inc. on its sale to Legrand Holding, Inc.
- Represented Votorantim Financas on the sale of 49.9% of Banco Votorantim to Banco do Brasil.
- Advised Scopus, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Banco Bradesco, in the acquisition of a 49% equity stake in a Brazilian subsidiary of NCR Corporation, the world’s leader in ATM manufacturing.
- Represented CapGemini Group on the acquisition of a controlling interest in CPM Braxis Group, a company specialized in technology solutions.
- Advised the former controlling shareholders of the Talent Group on the sale of its control to the Publicis Group, one of the oldest and largest marketing and communications companies in the world.
- Assisted BTG Pactual’s Health Investment Fund on the subscription of debentures issued by the D’Or Group holding company, the leader in Hospitals and Laboratories of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
- Represented former shareholders of MMartan on the sale of the company to the Springs Global (Coteminas) Group.
- Advised VR Empreendimentos, Participacoes e Servicos, in the acquisition of real estate SPEs of the Hines Group.
- Represented Brasil Ecodiesel, a Brazilian publicly-held corporation on its shareholders’ filings and registrations before the Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission.
*Certain of these matters were handled prior to joining Foley.
- Moderator, BayBrazil Latin America Digital Summit (November 19, 2021)
- Article, Latin America: Today’s Next Investment Frontier, published on November 10, 2021, by Thompson Reuters West Law
- Speaker, Law, Startups & Venture Capital promoted by IIN Global (September 8, 2021)
- Panelist on the 4thly event on Venture Capital and Startups Trends in Latin America (July 27, 2021)
- Panelist, 1st. Congress of Startup Law promoted by Group Verbo on the Internationalization of Brazilian Startups (April 29, 2021)
- Speaker, Webinar Internationalization of Startups promoted by the Brazilian Bar Association (September 23, 2020)
- Speaker, “StartSe Silicon Valley Web Conference”, Webinar (October 13, 2020)
- Speaker, VC inBrazil Forum and Business Rounds, ABVCAP event (January 27, 2020)
- Speaker, MBA Inaugural Class of Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Brazil’s most accredited Economics and Business Administration Program (2020)
- The University of Chicago Law School (LL.M., 2013)
- Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo Law School (LL.B., 2005)
- New York