Ian Hampton is a senior counsel and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice.
Ian has represented clients in a broad range of litigation matters in both federal and state courts including complex commercial, insurance, antitrust, and white-collar matters as well as in arbitrations and government investigations. Ian also has extensive motion practice experience in all stages of litigation including having drafted successful dispositive motions, and has argued before and obtained unanimous affirmance from the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Foley, Ian worked as an associate in the New York office of an international law firm. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern for Judge Marilyn Huff, of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Antitrust and Competition
- Obtained dismissal of antitrust claims against Fortune 500 company on the ground that its participation in alleged price-fixing conspiracy was inherently implausible.
- Defended a leading financial services firm in antitrust class actions involving alleged price-fixing in markets for credit default swaps, U.S. Treasury securities and municipal bonds.
- Represent leading real estate brokerage in multi-district antitrust litigation involving allegations of conspiracy in market for residential real estate.
- Represent surety company in antitrust litigation arising from sale of bail bonds to consumers in California.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of trade secret and breach of restrictive covenant claims against manufacturing client and one of its executives and defeated plaintiff’s motion to amend its complaint. Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed the remaining claims.
Insurance and Reinsurance
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of all claims against a multinational property insurer in a billion-plus dollar coverage litigation arising from Superstorm Sandy.
- Successfully defended ceding company in arbitration brought by its reinsurer.
*Matters handled prior to joining Foley.
Awards and Recognition
- Received, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation (2024)
- BTI All-Star in Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution (2022)
- Member, Board of Directors, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association