Lauren M. Loew helps clients identify risk in existing relationships and protect them in the event of disputes. A partner and litigation lawyer for Foley & Larder LLP, Lauren utilizes her analytical background to gain a full understanding of clients’ products, operations, and business goals. She uses that in-depth knowledge to tenaciously defend manufacturers and automotive companies in supply chain and product-related litigation and health care entities in commercial disputes, antitrust, and regulatory matters.
“Ms. Loew is completely responsive and uniquely situated to react quickly.”
“She understands our goals and pulls together the resources we need.” BTI Client Service All-Stars 2022
As clients move from traditional brick-and-mortar industries into new delivery spaces, Lauren helps them mitigate liability and navigate problems with vendors or suppliers that are disruptive to business operations and growth. She advises entities that operate in challenging regulatory environments and guides them in making the best decisions for their businesses. Lauren regularly counsels clients on the legal landscape of privilege protections and how it applies to their companies.
Lauren’s practice spans a wide range of complex litigation matters and business disputes, including multidistrict class action defense, products liability defense, product defect claims, business warranty and contract matters, complex commercial arbitrations, advertising/misrepresentation claims, commercial contract disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and non-compete cases, supply chain management disputes, and post-acquisition litigation. She represents clients in state and federal courts and arbitrations around the country.
A member of the Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice; Automotive Industry Team; and Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) Team, Lauren serves as co-editor of Dashboard Insights, the firm’s Automotive Industry Team blog.
- BTI Client Service All-Stars (2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® - Business litigation (2016 and 2017)*
- Defending manufacturing clients in multiple consumer class action matters, including pending automotive class actions and multi district litigation.
- Representing and counseling clients in automotive manufacturing industry, including supply chain management, products liability claims, and contract enforcement.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of Tier 1 automotive supplier against its customer OEM compelling the OEM to conduct an emissions related recall.
- Defending client in antitrust action for pricing discrimination.
- Representing health care technology client as plaintiff in claims against members of a regulatory authority.
- Representing both plaintiffs and defendants in breach of fiduciary duty cases, including actions against former employees, attorneys, and business partners. Obtained a permanent injunction enforcing restrictive covenants on behalf of a client against a Fortune 500 company that was an investor in the client.
- Enforcing confidentiality and non-compete agreements and trade secret misappropriation. Obtained a temporary restraining order against a former employee who retained confidential materials after departure from a client.
- Litigating disputes relating to business acquisitions, such as post-acquisition working capital, purchase price and earnout cases in arbitration and court proceedings. Obtained a multimillion-dollar award for a client in a post transaction working capital adjustment arbitration.
- Represented real estate investment trusts (REITs), developers, lenders, landowners, lessors, and lessees in a wide range of litigation relating to real estate, including joint venture disputes, complex loan modifications, commercial foreclosures, design-build and construction defect claims, actions for specific performance of real estate purchase agreements, and sophisticated commercial lease litigation around the country.
- Represented condemning party in a complex condemnation case. Limited client’s liability for damages to small percentage of requested damages after four-day jury trial and verdict.
- Conducting evidentiary hearings in state and federal courts. Obtained dismissal of client as defendant under fiduciary shield doctrine.
- Representing clients in state and federal appeals. Secured dismissal of appeal before Illinois Appellate Court for First Judicial District.
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D., 2007)
- Articles editor of the Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law
- Recipient of the Junius L. Allison Legal Aid Award and the Philip G. Davidson Memorial Award
- Founder of the Vanderbilt University Law School Street Law Program
- Indiana University (B.S. in biochemistry, B.A. in Spanish, 2004)
- United States District Courts
- Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
- Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit
- Seventh Circuit
Lauren regularly appears pro hac vice in state and federal courts around the country.
- Women Presidents Organization (WPO) – Member
- Chicago Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights – Board member and immediate past president
- Chicago Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- Litigates pro bono cases, including two immigration bench trials resulting in asylum for a mother and daughter from the Democratic Republic of Congo and withholding of removal for a man from Nigeria
- Coaches mock trial at Lane Tech High School through the Chicago Coalition for Law Related Education
- Co-author, “Sustainable, Slavery-Free Supply Chains: The New Caveat Emptor,” Corporate Compliance Insights (December 15, 2021)
- Moderator, “ESG Reporting 101 and Why It Matters for Supply Chain,” Loyola University Chicago’s Supply Chain and Sustainability Summit (October 12, 2021)
- Co-author, “Cross-Motions for Summary Judgment: Be Careful What You Concede,” Illinois Bar Journal (November 2015)
- Panelist, “Takings and Condemnation Update: Developments since the Amendments to the Eminent Domain Act; Government Use of Eminent Domain for Redevelopment; Valuation,” Land Use Law, The Seminar Group (June 4, 2015)
- Co-author, “Seventh Circuit Report,” DRI’s The Business Suit (October 16, 2014)
- Co-editor and regular contributor to Dashboard Insights, the Automotive Industry Team Blog.