The global shift from internal combustion engines (ICE) to battery electric vehicles (EVs) is fundamentally altering the automotive industry. But the changes don’t stop there. Other forces are driving sweeping changes across the automotive industry, including mobility, autonomous vehicles and connectivity. Today, the industry is evolving as technology, new data and artificial intelligence applications converge with ongoing procurement challenges across the global supply chain, such as raw material shortages, workforce issues and shipping obstacles. Despite – or perhaps because of – this dynamic environment, the industry is rich in opportunity for business growth.
To thrive in the automotive industry, companies are rethinking their long-term business strategies, investments, partnerships and technology.
Whatever issues you’re facing, our multi-disciplinary automotive team can help. For more than 50 years, Foley has been serving automotive industry clients and we continue to be recognized as a global leader in advising automotive suppliers, electric vehicle manufacturers, advanced technology providers, investors, and mobility companies. Our team comprises more than 85 attorneys from across our many practice groups but each with specialized automotive-industry experience.
Foley is an active participant in industry groups such as the Original Equipment Supplier Association (OESA), Society of Automotive Analysts (SAA) and the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM). This puts us at the center of the industry’s biggest players, allowing us to spotlight emerging trends and help you anticipate and capitalize on what’s next. It also puts us in a position to shape the industry’s evolution and advocate for our clients amidst the changing landscape of trade sanctions, regulation and class action litigation.
From our auto practice in Detroit, to our presence in Mexico, Foley’s footprint aligns closely with the manufacturing locations and customer locations of its automotive clients. With an international presence and local representation, we stay on top of the laws and regulations where our clients operate.
Our team advises on a broad range of legal and business issues, bringing a particular focus to five key areas: supply chain issues; electrified mobility and infrastructure; investors; franchising and distribution, and litigation, including class action lawsuits.
- Supply chain issues have disrupted nearly every business in the automotive industry. Foley’s Supply Chain Team takes a holistic and proactive approach to addressing the supply chain challenges that arise in an increasingly interconnected world. We develop legal strategies tailored to your particular industry requirements and company needs, and help you manage risk and enhance the value of your supply chain. As your strategic partner, we provide a business-focused, results-oriented approach to supply chain issues and disputes.
- As the world navigates the transition to electrification, Foley’s Electrified Mobility and Infrastructure (EMI) team offers a full range of services to help clients grow, innovate, or invest in this burgeoning space. Foley’s EMI practice combines our decades of experience in the automotive sector with our long-standing work in the energy industry, which spans both traditional and renewable energy.
- Foley’s Distribution & Franchise Team represents some of the country’s largest and best-known manufacturers and suppliers in the automotive industry. Our goal is to help clients optimize network performance, and to develop a robust yet flexible channel structure that allows for efficient risk management. We specialize in high-stakes commercial disputes and government inquiries involving dealer network consolidation, system standards and upgrades, exclusivity enforcement, and prohibitions against aftermarket and non-genuine parts as well as in termination, non-renewals, and other competition-driven changes.
- Given the rapid innovation and opportunity, the automotive industry has attracted a great deal of investor interest. Foley’s Private Equity and Venture Capital practices regularly advises PE and VC groups on all aspects of their businesses, including formation, intellectual property development, government relations and regulatory compliance, growth initiatives, investments, cybersecurity, and more.
- Across our client base, as disputes arise, we provide a skilled and vigorous defense. Foley’s Class Action Team has significant experience defending automotive clients against false advertising, product liability and warranty consumer class cases. We partner with you every step of the way, providing creative and effective counsel steeped in our knowledge of your business and industry.
The automotive industry, with its focus on electrification, is one of the most influential forces shaping the future. Our clients are a big part of this transition and we are driven to help you grow your businesses and continue making a positive impact on the world.
Foley’s Automotive White Paper – Foley’s Automotive team examines the business and legal trends that will impact the automotive industry in 2022. To view this year’s Automotive White Paper, please click here. To download the white paper, please click here.
Foley’s Automotive Blog: Dashboard Insights – The issues facing the automotive industry change as quickly as cars roll off the assembly line. With analysis from Foley attorneys and professional consultants drawing experience from a variety of disciplines, Dashboard Insights is an online tool to learn about and discuss the legal and business issues that impact all aspects of the automotive industry.