Alexandra (Allie) Shalom is an associate and health care business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP and a member of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group.
Allie's practice focuses on counseling clients in the health care and medical device industries with respect to a wide range of transactional and health care regulatory compliance matters. Her experience includes advising clients on managed care and value based payment arrangements; self-disclosures; federal and state fraud and abuse compliance; Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement; and provider enrollment and state licensure issues. She also assists health care clients with a broad range of transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, affiliations and formation of friendly professional corporations.
- Represented a family owned subacute rehabilitation and nursing operator in connection with its sale of a 120-bed long-term care facility in New Jersey.
- Represented LCMC Health in connection with its acquisition of East Jefferson General Hospital, a 400+ bed public health system on the east bank of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.
- Assisted Alliance Healthcare Services in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with independent diagnostic testing facilities across several states.
- Represented Spectrum Dermatology in connection with its recapitalization by a Pinnacle Dermatology.
- Represented a specialty physician group in its merger into a larger ophthalmology practice.
- Represented a Massachusetts health system in connection with its acquisition of seven urgent care centers.
- Structured management and professional services arrangements between clinical providers and management services organizations.
- Represented a sole practitioner in connection with the acquisition of Kansas based medical pain intervention practice and an ambulatory surgical center.
- Assisted Troy Gastroenterology, a large GI platform company and its affiliated entities with a pop-up F reorganization in connection with its recapitalization by HIG Growth Capital.
- Prepare cross purchases for physician group practices.
- Negotiated managed care agreements for health care providers including hospitals, physician groups and DMEPOS suppliers.
- Assisted Maxim Healthcare Services, an Allegis Company, in connection with multi-state regulatory filings required for the sale of Maxim Home Healthcare to Aveanna Healthcare, a Bain Capital Private Equity portfolio company.
- Performed an assessment of the compliance program for a Massachusetts based hospital.
- Advised a remote patient monitoring platform with respect to its expansion and compliance program.
- Advised DMEPOS companies on compliance with the Federal Sunshine Act and state level reporting requirements.
- Counseled companies on professional scope of practice matters.
"Foley is the premier firm for telehealth counsel."
"A market leader in telemedicine issues." "This is the Dream Team."
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers (2020, 2021)
- Worked with an emerging telemedicine company on strategic models for care delivery and revenue streams, practice of pharmacy restrictions and regulation and state and federal fraud and abuse considerations.
- Advise telemedicine companies with respect to health care quality improvement activities qualifying for reimbursement by Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
- Counsel a tele-behavioral health company concerning scope of practice restrictions for different levels of practitioners.
- Advised a client on telemedicine practice standards under state laws, regulations and medical board policies across multiple states, including cross-state licensing issues and telemedicine prescribing of medications.
- Selected for inclusion to the Massachusetts Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers Magazine (2020 - 2021), which recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Massachusetts lawyers under 40.
- Member of the Anti-Defamation League New England Associate Board
- Co-chair of the Engagement and Communications Committee.
- Awarded the Krupp Leadership Award by the Anti-Defamation League New England, which is given to community members who demonstrate outstanding dedication and leadership on behalf of ADL. ADL New England Regional Director, Robert Trestan commented that:
“[this year’s recipients] represent Boston’s best and brightest future leaders… They are changing the world we live in today, and will continue to be ambassadors promoting equality and fair treatment for years to come."
- Co-speaker, “No Surprises Act: A Federal and State Overview,” MHA Webinar (August 5, 2021)
- Co-author, “Federal Government Publishes an Interim Final Rule (Part 1) Implementing the No Surprises Act,” Health Care Law Today (July 20, 2021)
- Speaker, “AKS and Stark Law Compliance in Managed Care Contracts,” Stafford Webinars (May 6, 2021)
- Co-author, “Telehealth Legal and Regulatory Issues,” Chapter in Telemedicine: Overview and Application in Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine (April 1, 2021)
- Panelist, “The "Regulatory Sprint:" Accelerating New Business Models for Telehealth and Remote Patient Monitoring,” ATA20 (June 22-26, 2020)
- Presenter, “Patient Brokering Prohibitions,” New England Alliance Winter Conference (January 16, 2020)
- Co-presenter, "Managed Care Contracting," Massachusetts Hospital Association (January 23, 2020)
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Innovation Center Announces Flexibilities” (June 8, 2020)
- Presenter, “Long Term Care in a Digital World, Trends and Considerations,” New England Alliance Winter Conference (January 17, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “CMS’ New Proposed Telehealth and Virtual Care Services for 2020,” American Telemedicine Association (August 14, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “Behavioral Health in a Digital World, Trends and Considerations,” 2018 Boston Health IT Summit (August 8, 2018)
- Co-author, “The Relationship Between Enforcement and Compliance,” Health Care Compliance Legal Issues Manual (AHLA published on Lexis in 2019)
- Co-author, “Structuring and Operationalizing Value Based Payments: Legal Developments and Practical Tips,” Health Law Watch 2019 (May 31, 2019)
- Co-author, “A Round Up of Key Trends in Health Care Private Equity Investments” Health Care Law Today (May 8, 2019)
- Co-author, “The Good and the Bad of the New MassHealth Telemedicine Rule” Health Care Law Today (March 4, 2019)
- Allie earned her law degree from Boston College Law School (J.D., 2017), where she was the Executive notes editor of the Environmental Affairs Law Review.
- Allie earned her bachelor’s degree from University of Rochester (B.A., cum laude, 2013), where she majored in political science and minored in Jewish studies.
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association