Garrett Bishop is a corporate and transactional lawyer who delivers practical and efficient solutions to public and private companies, understanding that the successful resolution of legal issues is but a part of the client’s overall business goals.
A partner in Foley & Lardner LLP’s Milwaukee office, he is a trusted legal advisor who represents public and private companies in mergers, acquisitions, capital-raising activities (both equity and debt markets), divestitures and reorganizations, including public company M&A transactions, initial public offerings, de-SPAC transactions, and “going private” transactions both as counsel to the issuer’s special committee and the acquiring entities. He also provides ongoing advice to public companies regarding their corporate governance initiatives, federal securities law compliance, disclosure, and reporting obligations involving the Securities and Exchange Commission and public stock exchanges.
Garrett is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice Group, with Capital Markets & Public Company Advisory, Corporate Governance, and Mergers & Acquisitions Practices.
Prior to joining Foley, Garrett participated in the Summer Honors Programs and externships of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C., for two years where, among other responsibilities, he aided staff in the implementation of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act rulemakings relating to derivatives.
Public Company Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Hanger (NYSE: HNGR) in its US$1.25bn sale to Patient Square Capital. Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its US$6bn acquisition of Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp. (NYSE: KOG).
- Represented Pentair plc (NYSE: PNR) in its US$1.8bn acquisition of ERICO Global Company.
- Represented Bowl America Incorporated (NYSE: BWL-A) in its approximately US$45m sale to Bowlero Corp.
- Represented Kids2, Inc. in its approximately US$26m acquisition of Summer Infant, Inc. (Nasdaq: SUMR).
- Represented OMRON Corporation in its US$200m acquisition of Adept Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADEP).
SPAC Business Combinations
- Represented LMF Acquisition Opportunities, Inc. in its US$85m business combination with SeaStar Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: ICU).
- Represented AST & Science LLC (n/k/a AST SpaceMobile, Inc. [Nasdaq: ASTS]) in its US$1.4bn business combination with New Providence Acquisition Corp.
- Represented Electric Last Mile, Inc. (n/k/a Electric Last Mile Solutions, Inc. [Nasdaq: ELMS]) in its US$1.4bn business combination with Forum Merger III Corporation.
- Represented Stryve Foods, LLC (n/k/a Stryve Foods, Inc. [Nasdaq: SNAX]) in its US$170m business combination with Andina Acquisition Corp. III.
- Represented Adrie Global Holdings Limited (n/k/a China Direct Lending Corporation [Nasdaq: CDLC]) in its business combination with DT Asia Investments Limited.
“Going Private” Transactions
- Represented Employers Mutual Casualty Company in a “going private” transaction involving its acquisition of the remaining outstanding equity interests of its majority-owned publicly traded company, EMC Insurance Group Inc.
- Represented National Research Corporation (Nasdaq: NRC) in a “going private” transaction involving the recapitalization and removal of its second class of stock.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Stein Mart, Inc. (Nasdaq: SMRT) in a “going private” transaction that was not completed due to certain financial conditions not being satisfied.
- Represented Dream Finders Homes, Inc. (NYSE: DFH) in its US$150m preferred stock offering to certain funds and accounts managed and/or advised by subsidiaries of BlackRock, Inc.
- Represented 22nd Century Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: XXII) in its registered direct offering of US$35m of common stock.
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its simultaneous public and private offering of US$1.1bn of common stock, US$750m of senior notes and US$1.2bn of convertible senior notes.
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its private offering of US$1bn of senior notes.
- Represented Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA) in its public offering of US$500m of senior notes.
- Represented The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS) in its private offering of US$100m of convertible senior notes.
Private Mergers and Acquisitions
- Regularly represents a Fortune 500 public company in acquisitions and divestitures. Regularly represents a Russell 2000 public company in acquisitions.
- Represented UAS Laboratories LLC in its US$610m sale to Chr. Hansen Holding A/S (CSE: CHR).
- Represented the Milwaukee Bucks President and Owner Herbert Kohl in the US$550m sale of the basketball franchise to New York investment firm executives Marc Lasry and Wesley Edens.
- Represented Ulta Beauty, Inc. (Nasdaq: ULTA) in completing its corporate reorganization and public company holding structure formation.
- Represented Briggs & Stratton Corporation (NYSE: BGG) in its corporate restructuring in connection with its petitions for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Code.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Co-founder of the Business & Finance Law Review
- John Hopkins University (M.A., applied economics, 2008)
- The George Washington University (B.A., international affairs, cum laude, 2006)
- Co-author, “SEC Adopts Final Rules Regarding 10b5-1 Trading Plans and Disclosure of Insider Trading Policies and Related Matters,” The National Law Review (December 2022)
- Co-author, “Preparing for Wisconsin’s New Uniform Limited Liability Company Law,” JD Supra (November 2022)
- Co-author, “SEC Proposes New Rules for SPACs: What will the future hold for SPACs?,” The National Law Review (April 2022)
- Co-author, “A Tale of Two Commissions: A Compendium of the Cost-Benefit Analysis Requirements Faced by the SEC & CFTC,” Review of Banking & Financial Law, 32 Rev. Banking & Fin. L. 565 (June 8, 2014)
- Milwaukee Bar Association State Bar of Wisconsin American Bar Association
- Member, Development Committee of the Board of Directors, First Tee Southeast Wisconsin