Garrett regularly represents public and private companies and practices general corporate and business law with an emphasis in assisting clients with matters involving the Securities and Exchange Commission and public stock exchanges as well as general corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions.
Garrett is a trusted legal advisor who focuses on delivering practical and efficient solutions to simple and complex legal issues. His experience includes the representation of numerous public and private companies in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and reorganizations, including “going private” transactions both as counsel to the issuer’s special committee and the acquiring entities. Garrett also represents issuers in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities in addition to regularly providing ongoing advice to public companies regarding their federal securities law compliance, disclosure and reporting obligations.
Garrett is a member of the firm’s Transactions, Securities & Corporate Finance, Corporate Governance and Mergers & Acquisitions Practices.
Prior to joining Foley, Garrett participated in the Summer Honors Programs and externships of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. for two years where, among other responsibilities, he aided staff in the implementation of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act rulemakings relating to derivatives.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Represents a Fortune 500 public company in acquisitions and divestitures (10+ transactions to date)
- Represented UAS Laboratories LLC in its $610 million sale to Chr. Hansen Holding A/S (CSE: CHR)
- Represented the Milwaukee Bucks President and Owner Herbert Kohl in the $550 million sale of the basketball franchise to New York investment firm executives Marc Lasry and Wesley Edens
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its $6 billion acquisition of Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp. (NYSE: KOG)
- Represented Pentair plc (NYSE: PNR) in its $1.8 billion acquisition of ERICO Global Company
- Represented OMRON Corporation in its $200 million acquisition of Adept Technologies
“Going Private” Transactions:
- Represented Employers Mutual Casualty Company in a “going private” transaction involving their acquisition of the remaining outstanding equity interests of their majority-owned publicly-traded company, EMC Insurance Group Inc
- Represented National Research Corporation (Nasdaq: NRC) in a “going private” transaction involving the recapitalization and removal of its second class of stock
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Stein Mart, Inc. (Nasdaq: SMRT) in a “going private” transaction that was not completed do to certain financial conditions not being satisfied
- Represented Ulta Beauty, Inc. (Nasdaq: ULTA) in completing its corporate reorganization and public company holding structure formation
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its simultaneous public and private offering of $1.1 billion of common stock, $750 million of senior notes and $1.2 billion of convertible senior notes
- Represented Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: WLL) in its private offering of $1 billion of senior notes
- Represented Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation, an affiliate of MGIC Investment Corporation (NYSE: MTG), in its offering of $630 million of offshore reinsurance and insurance-linked notes
- Represented Employers Mutual Casualty Company in its private offering of $100 million of surplus notes
- Represented Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA) in its public offering of $500 million of senior notes
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Co-founder of the Business & Finance Law Review
- John Hopkins University (M.A., applied economics, 2008)
- The George Washington University (B.A., international affairs, cum laude, 2006)
- Co-author, “Failure to Disclose Known Trends or Uncertainties in Public Filings May Create Liability Under Section 10(b),” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Transactional & Securities (February 27, 2015)
- Co-author, “SEC Proposes Rules on Crowdfunding,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Transactional & Securities (October 28, 2013)
- Co-author, “A Tale of Two Commissions: A Compendium of the Cost-Benefit Analysis Requirements Faced by the SEC & CFTC,” Review of Banking & Financial Law, 32 Rev. Banking & Fin. L. 565 (June 8, 2014)
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association